Hikvision NVR Lost All Cameras

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 with 7 Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras, all purchased new and installed together 2 years ago.

The system has worked flawlessly until last week, when I noticed that no cameras are displayed in live view. I'm seeing no POE lights blinking, except on startup of the NVR. I assumed the POE block was dead and ordered an identical replacement Hikvison NVR, but today after install see the same problem as before.

The setup has never been connected to any network, and no changes have been made by me since the original installation. Can someone help me troubleshoot please?

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you connect to a camera directly connected to your computer and powered by an external power source?

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR is located at a remote location, and the cameras are all mounted outside.

I can take a laptop to the location, but can you clarify your instructions?

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Almost forgot, yes I can power a camera independently if needed.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Go the Hikvision website and download SADP under support, downloads, then tools. Connect your laptop with an ethernet cable to a port on the NVR. Run SADP. It should show all the cameras. If that doesn’t work, connect one of the cameras to the laptop and it should be seen by SADP. Make sure the camera is powered up by an external source.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it. Will be back at that location later this week and give it a try. Thanks...

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ran SADP and verified that the addresses for the NVR and Cameras match what's in the configuration.
I admit I have a poor understanding of IP address conflict, so I thought it best to post pics of the configuration page hoping someone might see any problems there.
Reminder: I am not connected to any network and the NVR is used locally only.

I've also posted a pic of an "alarm" that is showing up referencing a POE Power Overload. This appears on the old NVR as well as the new one that I just installed.

Still no cameras showing in live view...

IMG_20180910_132505180_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20180910_132435841.jpg IMG_20180910_132251259.jpg

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you disconnect all but one of the cameras does the alarm exception go away?
Just a thought - login to the web interface of one of the cameras. Change the IP to something along the lines of the image below.
Then set your IP4 address on the NVR to 192.168.1.1, leave the internal NIC addr as is.
Then click the edit icon in camera management on D1 (next to the IP address) and select 'Manual'.
Add the camera IP, fill in user/pass. See what happens and let us know.
upload_2018-9-10_21-59-43.png

Attachments

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I unplugged the cameras one by one until all were disconnected, but the POE alarm remains on.

For some reason my new laptop won't access the GUI interface, but I was able to change the camera settings through the SADP interface.
I entered the IP addresses as instructed for the camera and NVR, but so far still no live view for the camera...

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts:
Reset one of the cameras. There will be a reset button you press with the LAN cable disconnected. While the button is still pressed attach the LAN cable and wait 15 secs. Release the button. This should take you back to factory 192.168.1.61 if I recall. The NVR 'should' detect it now and automatically add it.

Secondly:
Accessing the web interface can be tricky. I use Firefox version 54 as I believe it was the last version that allowed the plugin to work correctly.
If you want to be able to access the cams via the web interface this worked for me:
Download version 54
Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/54.0/win64/en-GB/
During the install select make sure you select no updating. Once it's installed be sure to set:
upload_2018-9-10_23-20-49.png
Open Firefox and type in the address bar:
- about:config – ignore the “are you sure you want to proceed?” page
- Right click anywhere. A context window should pop-up
- Select New >> Boolean
- Enter exactly plugin.load_flash_only
- Set the Boolean value to False
- Restart Firefox

Once you open the IP of the camera you should be asked to download a plugin called 'web component' or similar.
Download it and run it as administrator with Firefox closed. Re-open Firefox and allow the component to run when prompted.
Click on configuration and you should have full access to the GUI.

I know this is a chore but I'm hoping it may help.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you disconnecting the cameras at the NVR end? If not, you need to try that. You may have a short in one or more of the Ethernet cables. If disconnecting one by one doesn't clear the fault, disconnect them all. Again, do this at the NVR, not at the cameras.

You need to find the source of the overload.

You could have one or more bad cables OR one or more bad cameras.

If you are getting a POE overload alarm on both NVRs, even with all camera cables disconnected at the NVR end, then the power to the NVR is suspect.

It sounds like the NVR is shutting down its POE power to protect itself. That must be troubleshot and corrected before anything else.

Also: Maybe the overload shutdown protection "latches". So even if you disconnect the bad cable/camera, it will stay in the protective overload state. You may need to reboot the NVR with all cables disconnected, to clear the overload. Then reconnect each cable one at a time to find the culprit!

Last edited:

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks StewartM. Great instructions, will try to reset a camera and also download Firefox for access to the GUI.

J Sigmo. I have disconnected all cables at the NVR End except the power cable of course.
The new NVR came with it's own cable, but I used the old one. Maybe that's it. Will give it a try.
Does the NVR have to be rebooted for the Alarm to disappear, or will it reset itself without that?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I edited my post. I don't know if you need to reboot the NVR to clear the overload protection. So I would disconnect all of the camera cables, reboot it and see if the fault clears. Then reconnect the cables one at a time to find the bad cable(s)/camera(s).

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Rebooted without any cameras attached to the POE Block, but the POE Power Overload message remains. Very strange.

I was briefly able to get POE lights blinking for one camera, then two, then three, and then blank again. Since then, nothing...

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this true for both the old and the new NVR?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, that overload wattage figure is odd. There's no way the NVR can source 6553.4 Watts! I wonder if that's a parameter that you can set up somehow, and we're seeing a default setting that needs to be set correctly before the POE will work.

I am curious as to what the new NVR is saying. It would be a heck of a coincidence for them both to have the same fault unless something really bad is happening with the Ethernet wiring, like a short to some mains voltage or something like that which would immediately damage any NVR or POE switch that got connected to the camera wiring.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that's the really odd part. I assumed the old NVR was bad because it was doing the same thing.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
So you're seeing this on both NVRs. Hmm. I'm not familiar with them. Maybe there is a setting that needs to be made to get that overload trip point set up to something reasonable.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the old NVR here at home, so I checked it one more time.

Same error message, showing the same 6553 Watts...

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
That's one beefy PoE power supply! You'd need a 240V, 30A circuit to power the NVR if that was true!

So I have to think there is something misleading about that number. Is there anything about that in the instructions?