Hikvision NVR NIC frozen

tmarsh94

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my own personal NVR, and of course have never run into this while on the job.
Went to look at my cameras one morning, nothing. Shows connection failed. When getting home to troubleshoot, found all 10 cameras showing ”network unreachable”. Also cannot ping the NVR within the network. Lights on the back of the unit on completely solid. Called tech support, they deemed the network card in the NVR bad.

I brought home a replacement from the office, same thing. Things work for a few minutes, then all goes dead. But at no point can I ping it within the network, and cannot get it to grab an IP on DHCP.
I took both units to the office and plugged into the network there, both work just fine. It’s not the Ethernet cord to the router, I was able to get a few cameras up on a 4 channel NVR on the same IP as the original, with the same network cable, same HDD.
Let’s hear some ideas? I work on this stuff all day, I don’t want to be doing it at home too. Lol

the NVR is a DS-7616NI-Q2/16P
Assortment of 10 IP cameras, most are 5MP, but two are 8MP. All has been working fine for the past 2 years, until it wasn’t.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Crazy idea - could the unit be hacked and your home ISP was blocking it somehow, especially if you are using their modem/router combo?

Are you using P2P or port forwarding?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For things like this I always start from the basics. Connect the NVR to your network with no cameras attached..just the NVR. Does it work...?? If not then the problem is within the NVR network port interface. If it does work, then connect one camera at a time to the NVR and see what breaks it, if anything. This will help you isolate it down to a specific port on the NVR or a specific camera that may be clobbering the network.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Went to look at my cameras one morning, nothing. Shows connection failed. When getting home to troubleshoot, found all 10 cameras showing ”network unreachable”.
The cameras are connected to the PoE ports of the NVR?
So you're looking at the camera management screen on the NVR using the NVR HDMI/VGA interface, not actually connecting to the cameras themselves?

What does the NVR HDMI/VGA interface show for the NVR PoE NIC IP address, and what addresses are defined for the cameras / are they on the same segment range?

RuthPero

n3wb
Reaction score
Ensure your home network settings match the NVR configuration, check for IP conflicts, and review router settings. Test different cables and ports.

tmarsh94

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I got it figured out. It ended up being something else causing this issue. My router is provided by ISP. Plugged into it, I have the NVR, two TVs, printer, Xbox, and an AP in my detached garage. These are in the scheme of 192.168.1.x. The cameras (10), are on a 192.168.254.x scheme. 5 are plugged directly into the NVR POE plugs. The other 5 are on a POE switch in the detached garage. Also note I have two cables to garage, one for router/AP and one for NVR/switch.
It ended up being the AP(one side of an engenius bridge in AP mode) that was holding up not only the NVR, but everything else plugged in, didn’t realize it till troubleshooting, but the one TV I watched reverted to WiFi. I left the AP unplugged, haven’t looked into it yet.