Hikvision NVR Playback Issue

zimurgy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am hoping for some help from some experts. I am new to IP cams and security for my home and I am noticing some issues. I have 3 cameras, 1 DS-2CD2332-I and 2 DS-2CD2532F-IS. When I view the live view or even the recorded video playback I am seeing periods of 5-10 seconds of lost time about every minute or so, some times are worse than others. It was most noticeable when I tried to playback a video of someone walking my property line behind my home. I saw him for a second and then it froze until it restored and I only saw his back. Talk about bad timing and frustration. I am powering the 3 cameras from the NVR. My runs of cat6 are around 100' at most.

My camera settings are all the same.
2048x1536
Constant Bitrate
Frame Rate: 15fps
Max bitrate: 8192

Most image quality settings are default.

NVR Model: DS-7604NI-E1/4P
NVR Firmware: V3.3.4 build 150811

I am not sure where to look next, would a separate PoE switch take some of the burden off of the NVR? I appreciate any help I can get.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you recording from motion? If so, you will need fine tune your motion settings, region, etc. If you are using HikVision cameras and a HikVision NVR, you should be able to configure your camera motion settings through the NVR. If not, You will have to configure the motion settings through each camera. I like to set cameras to a varible bit rate with the max setting arund 6122. In live view, are you watching from a monitor that is hooked directy to the NVR or are you on a PC that is on the local network?

zimurgy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Bababouy,

I am currently set to record continuous. I am not sure if that taxes the unit more. I wanted to record all at first to see what I get. Do you think a variable rate would help my situation? If I change the rate, would a reboot of the camera be recommended?

Thanks.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
A reboot on both the camera and NVR is always good once you change settings, especially on both the camera and the NVR. You may want to check the settings in the cameras to make sure they match the NVR. When usng HikVision cameras with a HikVision NVR, they both usually copy eah others settings when changed in one another.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, if you are set to continious recording, you should not experience any gaps in playback. The timeline at the bottom of the screen should be a solid color with no breaks.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
These NVRs with PoE are designed to take the weight off of your network until video is being streamed out.

- - - Updated - - -

Try setting the resolution to 1080p for the time being. See if that helps.

zimurgy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I put the cameras to 1080P and rebooted them. I will monitor to see how it goes. I had forgot to answer that the delays also happen on the cdmi monitor right off of the unit. I have not changed the bitrate settings yet to see if the resolution makes a difference.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you recording from motion? If so, you will need fine tune your motion settings, region, etc. If you are using HikVision cameras and a HikVision NVR, you should be able to configure your camera motion settings through the NVR. If not, You will have to configure the motion settings through each camera. I like to set cameras to a varible bit rate with the max setting arund 6122. In live view, are you watching from a monitor that is hooked directy to the NVR or are you on a PC that is on the local network?
Just wondering y you use a variable bit rate over constant bit rate? Its been my understanding that using a constant bit rate is better, Is this not true?
Thanks...

zimurgy

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems the Turret camera is still freezing for about 7 seconds at a time every minute or two. I have it at 1080P and it still seems to be misbehaving. The other 2 cameras seem to be doing better. When I watch the monitor they appear to stay continuous. The back camera is the most important to me so losing any frames is a big problem. I am not really sure what to try next. I have a PoE injector I can put on it to see what happens to test that theory.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Could the camera be malfunctioning?

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems the Turret camera is still freezing for about 7 seconds at a time every minute or two. I have it at 1080P and it still seems to be misbehaving. The other 2 cameras seem to be doing better. When I watch the monitor they appear to stay continuous. The back camera is the most important to me so losing any frames is a big problem. I am not really sure what to try next. I have a PoE injector I can put on it to see what happens to test that theory.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Could the camera be malfunctioning?
I had a similar problem but it was with all my cameras a mix of Hiks & Foscams, No matter what I did I could not fix it. On live video everything worked great but on recorded playback it would pause every 15 seconds for 15 seconds then start playing for another 15 seconds then pause 15 seconds. The only thing that fixed it for me was using a different NVR salutation, After trying XProtect Go with no other changed recorded playback & live video works great. I was using Synology Surveillance Station when I had the problems. Did you try factory resetting the one camera your having trouble then testing at factory defaults, This would at least rule out a bad configuration on the camera?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
When I'm having this problem, I start by setting the bit rate at the lowest setting on all cameras, then work your way up one step at a time. You want to keep your FPS at 12-15 FPS.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I'm having this problem, I start by setting the bit rate at the lowest setting on all cameras, then work your way up one step at a time. You want to keep your FPS at 12-15 FPS.
Interesting, y do we need to keep the FPS at 12-15?

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had problems on the live view on tv . The camera's were freezing for about 8 sec, then the seconds were passing fast etc... Replacing switch worked

zimurgy

n3wb
Reaction score
I may try lowering the bitrate as I guess there is a max that my NVR is capable of, so maybe pushing a forced 8Mbps on 3 cameras is too much. I will start by going down to 6 and see if things improve. I can't replace a switch as my NVR is the switch and PoE.

Thanks,