Hikvision NVR ( POE) and power line adaptors

huw53

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to this site so I hope I’ve reached the correct forum.

I’m looking for some advice on IP cameras. I currently have a three-camera system which I installed a few years ago. Two cameras are connected to my house and a third camera to my garage which is about 40 meters away from the house. All of the cameras have a separate power supply, and in the case of the garage, I have used a TP link powerline adaptor to provide the internet. The two cameras fixed to the house have ethernet cables that drop into my airing cupboard, and because of the success with the garage I chose to use an additional powerline adaptor there. I use Synology Surveillance station to store the data.

I want to upgrade the cameras and have purchased one Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2 turret camera to try, which works great, and obviously want to upgrade to them. In addition, as my Synology unit is a few years old I have thought to change over to Hikvision NVR.

This leads to my question.

It appears that the vast majority of Hikvision NVR’s that you can buy in the UK are POE, the question is can I use my layout with a POE NVR or do I have to somehow source a non-POE NVR? If it can be done some sort of sketch would be appreciated of the layout

Thanks in advance

Huw53

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The two cameras fixed to the house have ethernet cables that drop into my airing cupboard, and because of the success with the garage I chose to use an additional powerline adaptor there.
What do the camera ethernet cables currently terminate in?
As you've not mentioned a switch, and there are just 3 cameras, I'm speculating they terminate in ports in your router, which may have 4 ports with the NAS in the remaining one. And all your other devices running over WiFi.

With all camera cables currently 'home-runned' into the airing cupboard, a PoE NVR will work OK, with the NVR LAN cable taking the place of one of the existing camera cables end-points. The powerline adaptors means you'll still need to provide local power, as the NVR PoE facility won't traverse the powerline adaptor.

With a non-PoE NVR you will need another end-point to connect the NVR LAN interface in to.

huw53

n3wb
Reaction score
What do the camera ethernet cables currently terminate in?
As you've not mentioned a switch, and there are just 3 cameras, I'm speculating they terminate in ports in your router, which may have 4 ports with the NAS in the remaining one. And all your other devices running over WiFi.

With all camera cables currently 'home-runned' into the airing cupboard, a PoE NVR will work OK, with the NVR LAN cable taking the place of one of the existing camera cables end-points. The powerline adaptors means you'll still need to provide local power, as the NVR PoE facility won't traverse the powerline adaptor.

With a non-PoE NVR you will need another end-point to connect the NVR LAN interface in to.
Thanks for your reply, in answer to your question all the camera ethernet cables terminate into powerline adaptors, the base unit of the powerline adaptor is downstairs in my office and connects to my router. I do have a switch alongside the router which all my other devices connect into ie the synology, my time capsule as back up for my mac, and also the mac etc. I do have one ethernet cable which runs into the airingcupbaord from the switch that is alongside my router so I could instao the NVR in the airingcupbaord and dispence with the powerline adaptor for the main hosue camera. but it would not solve the one from the garage which has to work over powerline.