hikvision NVR securiity

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"This exact possibility is one of the reasons that a truly security-conscious person doesn't let their NVR or cameras have internet access in the first place"

I saw this statement in a cyber security thread. If one is accessing their system through an OpenVPN connection you have to have an internet connection. Right???

I blocked internet access to the Hikvision NVR in my Asus router and then counld not remotely acces the system using the IVMS 4500 app.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct. VPN can be hacked as well, but it is way more difficult than simply relying on the security of an NVR that is rarely updated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"This exact possibility is one of the reasons that a truly security-conscious person doesn't let their NVR or cameras have internet access in the first place"

I saw this statement in a cyber security thread. If one is accessing their system through an OpenVPN connection you have to have an internet connection. Right???

I blocked internet access to the Hikvision NVR in my Asus router and then counld not remotely acces the system using the IVMS 4500 app.
Hi @dryfly

basically: I like to air gap when I can, and if I must have remote access then go the VPN route ..