Hikvision NVR with 8TB/10TB HDDs

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone tried or tested the WD Purple 8TB/10TB with any Hikvision NVRs? I'm trying to setup a new machine with 32 Channels (DS-9632NI-I8) but I want to use 8TB/10TB HDDs with it. Hikvision's HDD compatibility list is hasn't been updated in almost a year and doesn't list any of the new HDDs on their list.

WD Purple 8TB (WD80PURZ) and WD Purple 10TB (WD100PURZ)

The newest list from Hikvision that I could find: http://www.hikvision.com/ueditor/net/upload/2016-10-10/9b4d4374-258a-4950-a849-b152fc29d4aa.pdf

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The one I have is limited to two 6TB hard disc drives. That would be a total of 12TB. I have a 4TB and a 6TB for a total of 10TB.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured so. I talked to someone at LTS, which OEMs Hikvision stuff, and they've been using 8TBs with no issues. I think 8TB/10TB drives are fine with the machines. It's just if you use the RAID stuff, it might get slow when you repair it but I think it should be fine.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You probably should consider a PC.
For a system that big, yes but there is no one to manage it, so I prefer to use a NVR. I would want to use a VMS to manage it but that requires more man power, which the customer doesn't want to allocate or pay for, neither would I.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VMS requires more manpower than a NVR? Can you explain?
Well, it's most likely a windows box, you need to do updates on it, make sure the VMS service/software is always running. There are much malware issues these days, you probably want to patch it asap and if the patch causes issues with VMS software, probably need to troubleshoot it or wait for VMS to fix/patch the issue.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that. I found a video to support what you say.

I'm not sure if this forum allows it.
Yeah, I see the video. It's just normal concerns when you run a server in general.