Hikvision NVR with POE headache

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to simplify my setup rather than having a NVR and 2 POE switches powering my cameras Ive gone down the route of upgrading from a DS-7608 without POE to a DS-7608NI-K2/8P which includes 8 POE ports allowing me to ditch the switches and simplifying my home setup.

I have 8 various hikvision cameras some English and some Chinese imports. Ive configured each one of them with the same password as my last NVR and they activated on my older NVR no problem.

With my new DS-7608NI-K2/8P I've plugged each camera into the poe ports expecting them to just work but for the life of me I can only get 3 streams working the other 5 won't show and checking the status on the NVR itself they either show 'the username or password is wrong' or the 'IP Camera doesn't exist'

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is? Ive searched the forums but no real solution to this problem.

Thanks

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK after a little more investigating, It seems the NVR has a separate POE network. (Internal NIC IPv4 address)

Ive now changed this from the default 192.168.254 to 192.168.0.1 do I now need to manually through SADP change each camera in that range.

etc.etc

Then re-connect them to the NVR's POE?

Thanks

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive now changed this from the default 192.168.254 to 192.168.0.1
That's a bad and unnecessary thing to do, and will cause various problems if it's the same range as the existing LAN.

All you needed to do was :
In the NVR web GUI, note down the IP addresses of each channel you want to use for the cameras.
Update the password of each channel to match that of the camera you want to connect to it.
Power up each camera in turn on the LAN, and with SADP, change the IP address to match that of the NVR channel you'll plug it in to. Also change the camera default gateway to the IP address of the NVR PoE interface, by default 192.168.254.1
Plug the camera into the NVR port you'd selected.
Repeat for each camera.
Job done.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair. I now have them working.

Changed the Ip back to avoid any issues.

Thanks again

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I now have them working.
Well done! Nice to get a good result.
And so much better to leave that PoE interface address at it's original value.

By the way - and apologies if you've already done this - it would be good to enable 'Virtual Host' and check it out, a really useful feature.
In the NVR web GUI, enable under Network Advanced settings, use it via the links at the right on Camera Management.