hikvision NVR with REOLINK cameras

haimbilia

n3wb
Reaction score
hello,
i have a hikvision 32ch NVR with all kinds of ip cameras 8 of them are reolink RLC-811A, only on the reolink cameras i have a problem where i try to add the detection grid and i get this error:
IMG_20240110_201317096.jpg
and so i can't activate the motion detection recording because of that.
i read something about reolink onvif not being real onvif or something like that.
is there something i can do to have motion detection recordings?
TIA

amos54

n3wb
Reaction score
hello,
i have a hikvision 32ch NVR with all kinds of ip cameras 8 of them are reolink RLC-811A, only on the reolink cameras i have a problem where i try to add the detection grid and i get this error:
View attachment 182495
and so i can't activate the motion detection recording because of that.
i read something about reolink onvif not being real onvif or something like that.
is there something i can do to have motion detection recordings?
TIA
I use several Reolinks and many of the settings are only available with browser login. ONVIF is not what it's cracked up to be.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every manufacturer uses different firmware, software, what not, so of course they will try to tie people into their systems.

While ONVIF is supposed to make it easier to mix/match, the truth of the answer is depends and many play games with it. Reolink is notorious for doing that.

Even though they may both be ONVIF compatible, that simply means it will pull in the video stream.

Advanced features may not be compatible and may not work.

Even as a standard, there is no "standard" that every manufacturer follows.

Audio rarely follows a standard. Things like AI triggers, heat mapping, people counting, etc. rarely follow a standard.

In reality, ONVIF is a paid designation, so a camera can set up their protocol however they want, but if they belong to ONVIF, they can slap ONVIF on their stuff. Some manufacturers are better than others at providing a standard that can be used with other devices.

amos54

n3wb
Reaction score
Every manufacturer uses different firmware, software, what not, so of course they will try to tie people into their systems.

While ONVIF is supposed to make it easier to mix/match, the truth of the answer is depends and many play games with it. Reolink is notorious for doing that.

Even though they may both be ONVIF compatible, that simply means it will pull in the video stream.

Audio rarely follows a standard. Things like AI triggers, heat mapping, people counting, etc. rarely follow a standard.

In reality, ONVIF is a paid designation, so a camera can set up their protocol however they want, but if they belong to ONVIF, they can slap ONVIF on their stuff. Some manufacturers are better than others at providing a standard that can be used with other devices.

thanks for the link

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Exactly right.
My uniarch NVR picks up my dahua cameras no worries but they won't see any of the alerts when IVS rules trigger on the cameras.
Plain old motion detection works but I can't set the MD rules in the NVR it has to be done on the camera.

haimbilia

n3wb
Reaction score

ok but i don't understand why the nvr need the camera to tell if there is motion. can't it tell from the video?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ok but i don't understand why the nvr need the camera to tell if there is motion. can't it tell from the video?
It needs to be able to overlay the zones for the motion detection.
If it can't do that it can't control it.
On the other hand if the motion detection is configured in the camera itself the NVR might then be able to receive the motion detection notification from the camera.