hikvision nvr with xprotect essential+ help

Marvin

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a ds-7616nvxi-12/16p/2 nvr trying to connect it with xprotect, the software reconizes the nvr but then fails on the next step before adding. I've enabled onvif on the nvr and setup an administrator account for onvif login. I can connect to the nvr through onvif using onvif desktop mananger software so I know onvif is working.. any suggestion? firmware version V4.40.416 build 210108

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm running a Xprotect expert 2022r2 system with the Dahua X72A3A4 NVR version V4.001.0000000.15, Build Date: 2021-10-13 .
Xprotect is set to connect via ONVIF Conformant Device, admin account.
When I look in the NVR's config pages for users, I see an admin account in both Account and in ONVIF Users, so I'm not exactly sure which one it is using.
The firmware on my NVR is latest on Dahua Wiki webpage.

Did you confirm that your NVR is listed as a Supported Device for that Xprotect product on Milestone's supported device list webpage?

Marvin

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running a Xprotect expert 2022r2 system with the Dahua X72A3A4 NVR version V4.001.0000000.15, Build Date: 2021-10-13 .
Xprotect is set to connect via ONVIF Conformant Device, admin account.
When I look in the NVR's config pages for users, I see an admin account in both Account and in ONVIF Users, so I'm not exactly sure which one it is using.
The firmware on my NVR is latest on Dahua Wiki webpage.

Did you confirm that your NVR is listed as a Supported Device for that Xprotect product on Milestone's supported device list webpage?
from other readings it appears that it should work under the general onvif driver.

using xprotect expert do you need 1 device license per channel of the nvr?

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, 1 device license per channel of the NVR. This is a relatively new policy of Xprotect, I would estimate about 2 years ago. Prior to that, devices like an NVR with multiple cameras inside would only consume one total device license.

1672764152952.png

Marvin

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, 1 device license per channel of the NVR. This is a relatively new policy of Xprotect, I would estimate about 2 years ago. Prior to that, devices like an NVR with multiple cameras inside would only consume one total device license.

View attachment 149828
that maybe my answer on why it's failing then its a 16ch nvr with only 8 channels used, but I know essentials only allow 8 channels. I wanted to look into getting 16 channels to play around with, but this will be for my personal use and to learn the product a little more. but i have a feeling 16chs with software and device license might cost a couple grand

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting point.

I recall seeing times in XProtect Expert where I've added a device that exceeds the license, and it adds to the system but then doesn't go online state - it has the 'offline' state icon beside it, and with the mouseover tooltip it says something like 'license exceeded'.

With these multi-camera units like NVRs, at first upon adding the unit it will try to onboard and license all channels. Then later I can go into Management Client and "Disable" a camera, and then it will no longer try to grab a license.

Certainly Essentials could behave differently.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recall seeing times in XProtect Expert where I've added a device that exceeds the license, and it adds to the system but then doesn't go online state - it has the 'offline' state icon beside it, and with the mouse-over tool-tip it says something like 'license exceeded'.
That's correct, I suspect it's another issue... ironically the license change was anything newer than 2020R3, so anyone on those old Essential licences... it's now increased in value!

Capsy66

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a ds-7616nvxi-12/16p/2 nvr trying to connect it with xprotect, the software reconizes the nvr but then fails on the next step before adding. I've enabled onvif on the nvr and setup an administrator account for onvif login. I can connect to the nvr through onvif using onvif desktop mananger software so I know onvif is working.. any suggestion? firmware version V4.40.416 build 210108
Were you able to solve this? I ran into this before and using port 8000 for Onvif protocol worked.

Marvin

n3wb
Reaction score
Were you able to solve this? I ran into this before and using port 8000 for Onvif protocol worked.
Are you saying use port 8000 inside the xprotect software vs using port 80?? That seams more so like it world connecting using the hikvision private protocol vs onvif

Capsy66

n3wb
Reaction score
You're right port 8000 was for a Reolink Onvif. I do remember struggling with a Hikvision that would fail to add at the final step and it finally succeeded. I'm trying to remember but I think I unchecked all the drivers except Onvif, 2 Hikvision drivers and the Universal driver. After clicking Next, instead of auto-detect you can choose the driver manually in the last box. I tried each one of those and one succeeded. I just can't remember which one it was. I can look further when I'm at the management client.

Capsy66

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you saying use port 8000 inside the xprotect software vs using port 80?? That seams more so like it world connecting using the hikvision private protocol vs onvif
The one that worked I believe was the Hikvision Generic driver using the camera login and password, not the Onvif Profile name and password.

Capsy66

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't read your original post right. I thought it was a single cam. I missed the NVR part.

Capsy66

n3wb
Reaction score