Hikvision NVRs and Bitrate

mortslaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, yesterday I was all set to order a 7608NI-E2/8P NVR. I was hoping for a simple solution and the built-in POE sounded nice, because I currently have a 4-port POE switch for my Logitech setup and would need to buy another switch anyway to accommodate the new setup I'm planning.

However, I am getting a bit worried about bitrate. I plan to capture based on events, not continuous monitoring. However, I would really like to max out on my frames if I can. 4MP cams spitting out video at 20 fps seems like it could be a lot of data. I'm planning to be running 8 cameras once my setup is complete, will the 7608 be ok to handle this or should I consider the 7616? I don't need the extra 8 channels, but the higher incoming bitrate headroom might be needed?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you thought about going to a 4k NVR?

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think you'll definitely need the extra bandwidth if you're planning on recording at 4MP/20fps. I'm not familiar with h.264+ or h265, but at h264 it's definitely not enough. I'm running 6 cameras at 3MP/20fps on the 7608 and I feel like it's just barely enough.

mortslaw

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you'll definitely need the extra bandwidth if you're planning on recording at 4MP/20fps. I'm not familiar with h.264+ or h265, but at h264 it's definitely not enough. I'm running 6 cameras at 3MP/20fps on the 7608 and I feel like it's just barely enough.
Thanks, I tried the Hikvision calculator but had trouble understanding it. So, I tried this calculator http://www.stardot.com/bandwidth-and-storage-calculator

Looks like the 50 Mbps incoming bandwidth is not likely to be enough, but the 100 from the 7616 should do nicely. I assume there is not a bandwidth limit per channel?

Truth be told, based on the cameras I can find from Nelly's, I'll probably have a mix of 4MP and 3MP cameras in my setup. For example, I really want a 2.8mm turret for my front door, and a 4mm turret for my front walk, but they only have the 2.8mm turret in the 4MP version currently.
@hook3m, I haven't looked at any 4K NVRs, but since I planned to stick with Hikvision for cameras I was just looking at their NVRs. Do they offer 4K or will another brand work?

Last edited by a moderator:

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@hook3m, I haven't looked at any 4K NVRs, but since I planned to stick with Hikvision for cameras I was just looking at their NVRs. Do they offer 4K or will another brand work?

Yes, you can use another brand as long as it supports ONVIF. Nelly's has several 4K NVR's and provides great Pre and Post sales support. Give them a call and they can answer any questions or concerns about the 4K NVR's and HikVision cameras.

Nelly's 4K NVR's:
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/nvrs/4k-nvr.html

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I tried the Hikvision calculator but had trouble understanding it. So, I tried this calculator http://www.stardot.com/bandwidth-and-storage-calculator

Looks like the 50 Mbps incoming bandwidth is not likely to be enough, but the 100 from the 7616 should do nicely. I assume there is not a bandwidth limit per channel?
This might be easier to understand: http://www.dvs.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/downloads/Hikvision_NVR_Recommended_Bitrate.pdf
It doesn't have 20fps or 4MP, but you can sort of guess based on whats available. At 3MP/20fps I currently use 7168kbps, but I could definitely use a bit more if I wasn't limited.

I should also note that with 3.3.x+ firmwares, the 7608 and 7616 have an incoming bandwidth of 80Mbps and 160Mbps respectively. You can see the updated spec sheet from Hikvision here: http://overseas.hikvision.com//uploadfile/image/20150703103323610.PDF

There are tradeoffs with using 3.3.x+ firmware vs older ones though, so you should take a look at some of the threads that talk about the 3.3.4 (most recent) firmware.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I should also note that with 3.3.x+ firmwares, the 7608 and 7616 have an incoming bandwidth of 80Mbps and 160Mbps respectively. You can see the updated spec sheet from Hikvision here: http://overseas.hikvision.com//uploadfile/image/20150703103323610.PDF

There are tradeoffs with using 3.3.x+ firmware vs older ones though, so you should take a look at some of the threads that talk about the 3.3.4 (most recent) firmware.
It's the newer firmware that increased the bandwidth to 80Mbps and 160Mbps. Older firmware will still have the 50Mbps and 100Mbps limitations. Another trade off.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For 8 cameras running at 4MP and 20fps I would suggest a 16 channel NVR due to the larger bandwidth. Nothing worse than buying an NVR that's not suitable for the job then having to either send it back or sell it.

It is dependent on the max bitrate you set on each camera. Then I do believe there is some overhead that takes up available bandwidth as well.

If you have a H265 capable camera, the I2 series NVR will support H265 and thus reduced bandwidth and space. The I2 series is 4k capable but I don't believe Hik offer any 4K cameras at the moment. The incoming bandwidth is still 80mbps for the 8 channel model, but the outgoing bandwidth is 256mbps.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nvr's seem reasonably priced but the cameras at those prices, i'm out.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The prices on those 4K cameras are pretty crazy. I wonder how much cheaper it is when Chinese sellers have them maybe they'll actually be affordable. Then again if you want the best, you gotta pay.

mortslaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys. So, I think getting a 16 channel NVR is the way I'm going to go. The I2 series sounds intriguing, but it's unclear to me when these will be more widely available. I'd feel a bit more comfortable if some people had them and some impressions were out. The other side of it is I'd like to get my system up and running in about a month. So, maybe I should just do the E2 version instead.

Obviously going to be a while before I can afford any 4K cameras anyway, but the 4MP Hiks will be a big upgrade over the Logitech Alert system I currently have at my old house.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The I2 series NVR is fairly new. Most people go with the tried and trusted E2 series NVR, as they don't want to have many issues even though some do.

The suppliers I asked said they can get them but you have to wait 25 days for them to even get it after you order, as they have to get them from Hikvision.

If I had to setup another system I would probably go with the I2. It's not much more than the E2.