Hikvision Outdoor Mounting

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing 6 x Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras for my home. They will all be installed outdoors. Some will be underneath the houses soffits but the majority will be on the gable side of the home or up against the vinyl siding.

Can I mount the camera directly to a vinyl siding mounting box in the below link:
Builders Edge 6.625 in. x 6.625 in. #069 Tan Surface Mounting Block-130110006069 - The Home Depot

Do I need to purchase any additional mounting hardware for the cameras?

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i put mine straight onto the PVC cladding without this kind of thing .. just used the right fittings to secure as its like a hollow wall and its fine ..stood up to 70mph wonds...

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
James,

I think you're on the right track for mounting. However, based on recent experience, I think I would not choose the dome type camera. The Hikvision Turrets mount and aim similarly, but they are not subject to some of the disadvantages of the domes (e.g. IR reflection). Also the EXIR models will probably give you somewhat better IR coverage.

I haven't been that impressed with the 4MP cameras either. You might want to stick with 3MP or even go with 2MP. I just got some DS-2CD2332-I's that I am pretty impressed with.

Another suggestion that you will see on this forum...think about lens size. The common 2.8mm is not always the best especially if you want to be able to make out details. I have used the 2.8mm, 4mm, and 6mm. I actually wish I had ordered 6mm where I currently have some 4mm's now. Its a balance between how much you want to be able to see and how much detail you need.

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback! After browsing the forum I am seeing a lot of people post negative feedback on the domes. Is it better to go with the bullet's or the turrets then?

The turret model I see comparable is:
DS-2CD2342WD-I (Is this outdoor rated? I see it is ip-66 certified but does not mention outdoor use)
DS-2CD2342WD-I-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
Is there much of a difference than the DS-2CD2332-I?

And for the bullets,
DS-2CD2042WD-I vs DS-2CD2232-I5?

The DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 is just too massive.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
James Sabia,

Welcome to the forum! I hail from Freeport, NY - a short jaunt from Bellrose!

IP66 is weather tight.
IP = Ingress Protection

IP67 is better, and can withstand blowing wind from all directions (even from underneath)
For soffit mounting, IP66 is perfectly adequate.
Seal your cable to cable connections. And seal the cam to the vinyl, so keep water outta your house...

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback! After browsing the forum I am seeing a lot of people post negative feedback on the domes. Is it better to go with the bullet's or the turrets then?

The turret model I see comparable is:
DS-2CD2342WD-I (Is this outdoor rated? I see it is ip-66 certified but does not mention outdoor use)
DS-2CD2342WD-I-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
Is there much of a difference than the DS-2CD2332-I?

And for the bullets,
DS-2CD2042WD-I vs DS-2CD2232-I5?

The DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 is just too massive.
The "WD" in the model numbers you are referencing indicates the camera has 120 db Wide Dynamic Range. This should be a good and valuable feature, but I have a DS-2CD2T42WD-18 and it is pretty much worthless in that camera. I don't even use it. I can't really say how well Wide Dynamic Range would work in the DS-2CD2342WD-I since I have no experience with that particular turret. I have shied away from the 4MP cameras since buying the DS-2CD2T42WD-18. I struggled quite a bit with ghosting and other image problems initially and I am not really impressed with it overall. You may find that the DS-2CD2342WD-I has very good image quality - I just can't say.

I would definitely choose the turret over the bullet because the turrets are compact and have a more elegant look than the bullet. They are also easy to mount and aim.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go with those Dahua turrets with the mic, those prices are good on Amazon and no hassle returns even the Ali comparable only save $100 on the lot now.

Aliexpress.com : Buy DaHua IPC HDW4431C A POE Network IR Mini Dome IP Camera With Built in Micro Full HD 1080P 4MP CCTV Camera from Reliable dome ball suppliers on XinRay Store

Naturally the @nayr special vari focal Dahua would be worth a go for $170 and you could adjust your view easily.

I just payed 70.00 for my 4431c off Amazon with that said I got 2 day shipping and 30 day return which you won't find on aliexpress. On exi there like 67.00 68.00 ect.. I would differently get it from Amazon if you live in the USA

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Amazon getting scared of ALiexpress/Alibada as Alibada makes Amazon look like a local candy store when compared to Ali's size. I would definitely stay local now wow what a year in time has done to pricing which is nice to see. Up here though we still get robbed on pricing.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ON your vertical mounting question you may want a box depending on what profile your siding is so that is does not effect the lens view. Also without a box you have to drill a pretty big hole to fit the connectors through. If you don't use a box though and don't mind the hole size don't forget to caulk the hole and put some along the top of the turret to stop rain from penetrating the house.