Hikvision plays an unfair game

Reaction score
Ok, so I got a reply from Hik concerning my earlier post. Note this is a WR region camera purchased from B&HP in NYC AFTER checking their status with Hik. This is the response I got from a Mr. slick:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
So I guess you bought your camera from a distributor outside North America right? If yes, you need to find the correct region for support.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Note, the S/N indicates it is marketed in the World Region which should be handled by HIK USA.

OK, screw em. The camera is out of warranty and came back to life.

I just bought two more cameras from BHP.

No indication of region on the box or physical camera. Just did SADP and the new ones are also WR.

Here is the issue. Grey market items are an important source of revenue/profit to the Home Corporation. THEY know which stores in Singapore are ordering more product than the market can support. But, profits are generated based on what leaves the home corp's loading dock. So like the opioid producers in the USA, they do not audit their distribution system.

Fine. Business is business. BUT, they have an obligation to the end user to CLEARLY label the market region of the product where the end user can easily verify the product is what the USER wants. We fought Nikon on this very issue and now they include the market region on product boxes so the consumer is fully informed. With Nikon this was critical. Because Nikon USA will not service product marketed to another region without a legitimate receipt form the retailing in that market. NOT warranty; ANY service. I went the Nikon Americans President to get this clarified for photographers.

Am I going to get involved in another fight, no. Just be aware that this is the game and why they play it. It has NOTHING to do with exploitative, swindling 3rd party sellers. Hik could fix THAT in a heart beat.

It has to do with getting away with what they can while making money however they can.

Still keeping the cameras, $105 is about the cheapest thing around for any camera.

I AM going to write HIK and ask if these cameras are covered.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just get LTS (re-branded hik) or buy from Nelly's you'll get better support than you do buying hik from b&h.

or you you can buy Dahua from @EMPIRETECANDY.

You can pay twice as much for cameras with a stronger warranty & support or just replace them when they fail.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
We (IPVM) found a similar issue recently. Interestingly, ordering Hikvision from B&H was shipped / fulfilled by mega authorized distributor B&H see (unlocked) Buy From B&H, Ship Direct From ADI

An example of that in the image below:

If you have any thoughts on how we can help, let us know.

Reaction score
Ok. I just got an email reply from Hik CSR. Product marked for WR is serviced by HikUSA. First guy did not have clue what he ws doing. They do not even look at the spreadsheets attached to emails with the export data from SAPD.

But the story about gray holds.