Hikvision Removable NAS

willemb

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to the IP surveillance game and am wondering if the following scenario is plausible? I would like to record video from my Hikvision camera to a stored NAS drive. After a month I would like to remove said NAS drive from one computer/network and then review the information on another computer/network.

What software would I use to make this happen? Seems silly but could I just use another camera and add the aforementioned NAS drive to it for review? I was hoping to just use Linux for everything. If I did go the Windows route, could I use the iVMS-4200 software to connect to the NAS drive or potentially many NAS drives as I might need to do this with many remote surveillance setups.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried to make iVMS work, for weeks.. and to be honest it just SUCKED... I'm now using blue iris and by far its so much better and better supported! I'd strongly reccomend you look into BI instead.

willemb

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to make iVMS work, for weeks.. and to be honest it just SUCKED... I'm now using blue iris and by far its so much better and better supported! I'd strongly reccomend you look into BI instead.
Ok that's good to know - however will Blue Iris simply connect to a detached NAS drive and be able to review it in the way I was asking originally. Also, there is something attractive about free but ultimately I do need this to work.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not only that, but you can have blue iris automatically move your clips to archive or different folders around your nas based upon a schedule. I hear ya about the free factor. I was in the same boat... I tried several different freebie VMS packages, and resorted to BI... it was the best move I ever made, and it only cost me $40!

titanmanus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to buy a NAS to my Ds2CD2132. I though Synology DS115j will be good after reading this I got confused. It says: "For example, if you use the DS115j with IP cameras, it only captures at 20fps at 1080p resolution." Is it true?
Or can you suggest good budget NAS?
tnx

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know not exactly what you asked but the Hikvision NVR is basically a glorified NAS and if you get the PoE one you don't need a PoE switch. I would always use Hikvision cameras with a Hikvision NVR. If these were Non-Hikvision ONVIF cameras that would be different.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to buy a NAS to my Ds2CD2132. I though Synology DS115j will be good after reading this I got confused. It says: "For example, if you use the DS115j with IP cameras, it only captures at 20fps at 1080p resolution." Is it true?
Or can you suggest good budget NAS?
tnx
You're talking about using the Surveillance Station package which runs as a service on the NAS. The OP is talking about utilizing the NAS as a storage medium to store the footage from the camera.

titanmanus

n3wb
Reaction score
You're talking about using the Surveillance Station package which runs as a service on the NAS. The OP is talking about utilizing the NAS as a storage medium to store the footage from the camera.
Yes. The specs: here. So if I want to use Synolgy's Surveillance Station software than I'll get 5 licenses from them (2 for free) and I'll face some fps/resolution limits. But is there any way to use it as a simple storage medium and just save the footage without limitations? If yes then what are the advantages to using their software? Sorry If I'm speaking crazy things but this is my first IP cam and I've never had any NAS yet. Also found this video and made me bit confused. Anyway this Synology NAS supports my DS2CD2132. :)