Hikvision Requirements

KevinB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking at installing x5 4MP hikvision cameras / x1 lesser quality camera and running them at the best possible quality (within reasonable cost)

I'm looking at getting an NVR due to reliability - would the [h=1]'Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A 8 Channel NVR 8POE'[/h]
be suitable for running these cameras? / how much hard drive space would I require to record for a week - alot of the guides seem to be based on 3MP cameras

Thanks,

Kevin

KevinB

n3wb
Reaction score
It's more about the bitrate than the resolution.
Take a look at the disc space calculator in here - it allows you to play around quite well with the various parameters:
http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/tools_82.html
Appreciate the swift response, I'll have a look at that when I've access to a windows computer. Is it possible to play with that application without having the IP cameras at hand?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to play with that application without having the IP cameras at hand?
Yes, it does not depend on having an IP camera, just the knowledge of the camera parameters you can tweak.
But it's pretty self-explanatory.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As alastairstevenson stated your image quality, fps, and bitrate are going to affect the length of recorded video. You should have no issues adjusting these to get one week of recording. I have 7 cameras and 4tb of memory which get me about 2 months of storage. I would recommend 2tb is more than enough for your application and leave you a little room if you wanted to add another camera or 2 in the future.