Hikvision RJ45 question.

Reaction score
I have a DS-7608NI NVR.
Installing new PTZ, model DS-2DE 5220i-AE to it.
My house is pre-wired to the install point with cat5 and a wire for 24VAC.
My question is, which wires within the cat5 can I divert to use for the RJ485 control circuit. I assume the original POE dedicated wires can be used for this purpose.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like you have a digital nvr trying to hook up an analog camera that's not going to be compatible I bought a 7600 hybrid as these have bnc connections and you can use cat to bnc video baud adapters then you can run video and power and audio down the cat wire to the camera
Ae is there analog line
De is there digital line

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what I got for my ae ptz camera it will run ip cameras that are plugged into a Poe switch on your network too but not the high mp ones up to four ip cameras if you could return the ptz and get the de version that will make your life a lot easier

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a DS-7608NI NVR.
Installing new PTZ, model DS-2DE 5220i-AE to it.
My house is pre-wired to the install point with cat5 and a wire for 24VAC.
My question is, which wires within the cat5 can I divert to use for the RJ485 control circuit. I assume the original POE dedicated wires can be used for this purpose.
RJ485 does not exist.

RS-485 does, it's a serial protocol similar to RS-232 that works over longer distances with differential signaling. It's used with analog PTZs and TVI/CVI PTZ cameras.
RJ45 is the connector used for ethernet.

I doubt you have any need for RS-485 at all, I didn't even see a reference to that model having RS-485. Depending on what you have available to power the camera you could either use a PoE+ switch or just use 24VAC on the second set of wires you have.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies. That particular PTZ was one recommended for my NVR by one company. Perhaps I need to dig deeper and pitch this back to them and see what gives.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies. That particular PTZ was one recommended for my NVR by one company. Perhaps I need to dig deeper and pitch this back to them and see what gives.
Did you already buy this PTZ? If you have it in your possession just post a couple pictures of the connectors on the camera.

What I'm saying is as I read the spec sheet you don't need to do anything except connect the RJ45 Ethernet cable and 24VAC if you aren't using PoE+. The PTZ is controlled over the network interface and doesn't need some crappy serial interface like older non-networked PTZs.

NOTE: you may see references to RS-485 in the manuals for PTZ that don't have RS-485. Manuals are sometimes written to apply to many products in a similar family. Spec sheet for this camera makes no mention of RS-485, all you've got is ethernet and probably alarm inputs/outputs and audio connections.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you have a digital nvr trying to hook up an analog camera that's not going to be compatible I bought a 7600 hybrid as these have bnc connections and you can use cat to bnc video baud adapters then you can run video and power and audio down the cat wire to the camera
Ae is there analog line
De is there digital line
This is possible. It comes down to exactly what model the OP is dealing with. At least from what I see here: DS-2DE5220I-AE-Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
it looks like a networked camera.