HIKVISION root shell/uboot

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently installed a Hivision camera system in a friends home. Last time I did this was a few years ago in my own home and when running into network issues, I was able to log in to the device using ssh as root and configure networking via bash on the device with the help of this forum. In my current installation, all methods to get a shell on the device fail, I keep getting the protected shell which is very limited.
I understand this is done for security reasons and the firmware was update in recent years, but is there any way to log in as root shell via ssh to the camera ? also, if there is an option to change Uboot so it starts the normal shell process instead of the protected shell would be very helpful.
Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
is there any way to log in as root shell via ssh to the camera ?
Getting access to a root shell is possible either by exploiting a security vulnerability, if running a suitable firmware version, or by installing a modified version of the stock firmware.

What are the camera models and their firmware versions?

Reaction score
Getting access to a root shell is possible either by exploiting a security vulnerability, if running a suitable firmware version, or by installing a modified version of the stock firmware.

What are the camera models and their firmware versions?
Hi, thanks for the quick reply,
I am using model DS-2CD2023G0-I
FW version is V5.5.82 build 190510

I saw sever security vulnerabilities that enabled shell access in older models but none worked for me, I tried to get an older FW file but couldnt find one, could you maybe point to a sort of FW archive if you are familiar with one ?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw sever security vulnerabilities that enabled shell access in older models but none worked for me
Yes, I believe the G0 series has been less vulnerable than some newer series.

I tried to get an older FW file but couldnt find one, could you maybe point to a sort of FW archive if you are familiar with one ?
There is a fair selection here, but Hikvision implemented a downgrade block that prohibits installation of older firmware.

You might find this useful :

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ClientDemo from SDK folder offer option to enable SSH access to some hikvision devices. You might get lucky your model is supported. Username:root Password: Your camera password. Connection method SSH2, user/pass only. I use SecureCRT for ssh or serial connections.