Hikvision Swann and Blue Iris confusion

Apriumben

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, trying to get my head around what I have and where I should be going, hopefully someone can set me straight.
I have a 4-camera Swann DVR/analogue camera system at home, plus a separate PT Foscam wireless camera. In the office I have just bought a Hikvision NVR which is connected to an AMBEYE ONVIF IP cam. I plan to get a 2nd cam at the office which will probably be a Hikvsion for ease and compatibility.

I have a trial of Blue Iris, from which I can see the foscam and the Office cam at the same time.

Ideally I would like to be able to see all the cameras from the same software. Again Ideally I would like to be able to store all the footage on the hikvision. I have a feeling however that

a) the swann system, although I can access it from web browser, is not going to work with any other software because the cams aren't IP - but is that right? I can obviously connect to the swann recorder via IP.

b) Although Blue Iris can see both cams (and presumably the 3rd cam when I get it) I don't think the Hikvision is going to be able to connect to the Foscam.
(Home and office are connected by VPN)

I don't mind struggling to get a solution to work, as long as I know that it should work in the end but I'm too new to this to understand which systems are actually capable of talking to each other

TIA for any advice.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Hikvision NVR
The (unspecified) models are many and varied in terms of performance and capabilities.
But Generic RTSP and ONVIF are generally supported, so the (unspecified) Foscam will likely connect OK, even if only for continuous recording.