Hikvision to Dahua - Equivalent Models [confused]

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been an installer of Hikvision cameras for around 10 years now. Hikvision is far more popular than Dahua in the UK and therefore there are more approved suppliers for installers. I'm thinking of trying out Dahua models that would be considered the nearest equivalent to what I use currently. The range and model naming is a bit awkward so I wondered if anyone here could point me to the nearest equivalents. It would be the official Dahua model codes I'm looking for (I'll be purchasing in the UK and I'm not wanting to import) The models I'll install regularly are all turret (eyeball) format:

DS-2347G2-LU Colorvu (4MP, F1.0, 1/1.8" sensor, fixed lens, mic, Colour only with white light)
DS-2387G2-LU Colorvu (8MP, F1.0, 1/1.2" sensor, fixed lens, mic, Colour only with white light)
-LSU/SL models of above add 2 way audio and strobe light (Live guard/active deterrent)

DS-2347G2H-LIU Hybrid Light (4MP, F1.0, 1/1.8" sensor, fixed lens, mic, can operate colour/mono, 24/7 colour with white LED, or hybrid based on event)
DS-2387G2H-LIU Hybrid Light (8MP, F1.0, 1/1.8" sensor, fixed lens, mic, can operate colour/mono, 24/7 colour with white LED, or hybrid based on event)
-LISU/SL models of above add 2 way audio and strobe light (Live guard/active deterrent)

Also interested in Vari-focal turret/eyeball

Any pointers appreciated

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I've been through that already and it looks as though some models discussed on this forum re not available in the UK. I'm waiting on a couple of official suppliers to approve trade accounts. I could probably do with a model number decoder document if such a thing exists. For Hik I can just look at the part number and know what it is. I'll maybe have to download all of the data sheets for a closer look.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-2347G2-LU Colorvu (4MP, F1.0, 1/1.8" sensor, fixed lens, mic, Colour only with white light)
DS-2387G2-LU Colorvu (8MP, F1.0, 1/1.2" sensor, fixed lens, mic, Colour only with white light)
-LSU/SL models of above add 2 way audio and strobe light (Live guard/active deterrent)
Exact equivalent will be 5449 and 5849 models..

There is also varifocal version of 5449:

Those are Full Color cams with white light... All models which belong to this line You can find here:

If You want more professional line with the same sensor 1/1.8" but normal IR light, with lots of options (chassis, lens - fixed, varifocal, varifocal with deep zoom etc) there are 5442 and 5842 lines... 5442 is most popular here on this forum..

DS-2347G2H-LIU Hybrid Light (4MP, F1.0, 1/1.8" sensor, fixed lens, mic, can operate colour/mono, 24/7 colour with white LED, or hybrid based on event)
DS-2387G2H-LIU Hybrid Light (8MP, F1.0, 1/1.8" sensor, fixed lens, mic, can operate colour/mono, 24/7 colour with white LED, or hybrid based on event)
-LISU/SL models of above add 2 way audio and strobe light (Live guard/active deterrent)
Dahua don't have Hybrid lights cams with big 1/1.8" sensor.. Only smaller one, there are 2 series:

- cheaper 2xxx dual light:

- 3xxx TIOC line:

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @steve1225 - I'll take a look through those links.

Dahua don't have Hybrid lights cams with big 1/1.8" sensor.. Only smaller one, there are 2 series
Yeah I found that surprising. The Hikvision ColorVu 4MP/8MP have 1/1.8" and 1/1.2" sensors respectively. Their G2H ColorVu hybrid share the same 1/1.8" sensor for both 4 and 8MP models. I was surprised to see that the 8MP Dahua hybrid light models only had a 1/2.8" sensor.

For Hikvision I do prefer to install the hybrid light model. With the 24/7 ColorVu I had a few customers question the LED being on all night when there was insufficient ambient/supplement light. The hybrid dual light models allow the end user to switch mode themselves within the app so there's no need to choose. between 24/7 colour or IR before installation.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I found that surprising. The Hikvision ColorVu 4MP/8MP have 1/1.8" and 1/1.2" sensors respectively. Their G2H ColorVu hybrid share the same 1/1.8" sensor for both 4 and 8MP models. I was surprised to see that the 8MP Dahua hybrid light models only had a 1/2.8" sensor.
Dahua have a divided portfolio for Lite/House (now called WizSense) and Pro (WizMind) lines..
Pro line is based on 1/1.8" and 1/1.2" sensors.. but Lite is 1/2.8"
maybe in next series it will change...

For Hikvision I do prefer to install the hybrid light model. With the 24/7 ColorVu I had a few customers question the LED being on all night when there was insufficient ambient/supplement light. The hybrid dual light models allow the end user to switch mode themselves within the app so there's no need to choose. between 24/7 colour or IR before installation.
I'm not a fan of ColorVu/Full Color (with white) or Hybrid cams..
they are toys for me..

Limited lens options (usually fixed 2.8/3.6mm with very wide field of view)... limited varifocal options... I use some cams with wide zoom to get overview image, but some with narrow zoom to identify people at paths/doors/streets...
White light from cam is big no no in most cases (especially in EU, where we have very fucked laws about privacy @CCTV and we simply don't want to expose cams or piss off the neighbors)..
F/1.0 aperture with big sensor create a Bokeh effect (Bokeh - Wikipedia). This give lots of problems with limited sharpness (some object are sharp, rest in foreground/background is somewhat blurry)..
Both Dahua/HIK do a lot of digital sharpening to hide this problem in Full Color/ColorVu cams...
Switching light from IR to white in hybrid cams causes distortion of the video image for a few seconds - before the camera adapts to the new lighting conditions.

Classic models with big sensor and IR (Dahua 5442/5842, HIK DarkFinderS models) don't have that problems... and have huge list of models with different options (Chassis, zoom/lens etc)... plus comparable performance at night to Full Color cams... and in case of total darkness, they can go to IR (and they see IR - Full color cams don't have this capability)..