Hikvision - Using a second NVR as client (view only)

superczar

n3wb
Reaction score
We just finished setting up a 10 camera (Hikvision 2CD-2020F-IW) setup for our gated community over a wireless wide area network
All cameras connect to wireless APs that in turn connect to the central server room via wireless point-to-point links
The primary NVR is a DS7616-NI

Now we are planning to add a view-only monitor for all the channels at the entrance gate
Plan A is to buy an Intel NUC - hook up a monitor and use iVMS to connect to the NVR

However, In order to keep things simple, I was hoping to use another DS7616-NI NVR as a view only device that ideally connects to the primary NVR and shows all feeds the same way as iVMS does
Is it possible to do so?
I don't want to order another NVR only to realize there is a gotcha somewhere and then discard it to buy a NUC based PC instead :)

PS: I understand I can add all 10 channels to the second NVR but would prefer not to do that given bandwidth constraints at the access points that connect to the cameras.
The link to the security gate is a backhaul link and can support a lot more bandwidth vs asking the cameras to send 2x feeds

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR should be providing RTSP streams for all connected channels, both main stream and substream.
This will not impact the camera communications, given that the NVR and it's networking is strong enough to handle it.
A second NVR can be configured to take generic RTSP streams.

You can check this out using a PC with VLC trying a sample stream as follows - channel 3, 01 for main stream, 02 for substream :
rtsp://192.168.1.211:554/Streaming/Channels/301