Hikvision video playback question/flaw rant

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
While this is only my opinion and maybe misguided, Hikvision is probably my favorite when it comes to CCTV, and I'm slowly trying to get the University to transition over to Hikvision as they start to replace any aging cameras/recorders.

Along with the one Hikvision NVR we have so far, we presently utilize an Exacqvision NVR, multiple Everfocus DVRs and a Wirepath DVR. Compared to the Hikvision though, their playback and video download functions are spot on. Pick a time frame, click the cameras you want to watch, click play and it will playback all the recorded video footage in that time frame all automatically synced up. When you're ready to download the footage, it downloads together into one big standalone file. This works great whenever you're needing to show a timeline of events over multiple cameras; no need to sit and manually play each clip one by one which works great if you need to present the video as evidence to a "technology dummy" to watch by themselves.

Though iVMS does have the ability of playing back multiple clips at the same time, it lacks the ability of downloading all those clips into a single standalone file; a significant flaw in my opinion. I know about the File Player program Hikvision has that plays back multiple clips, but our cameras record on motion only, so most of the time it fails to recognize the timeline and will fail to playback synchronized.

I really like Hikvision, but am I expecting too much out of Hikvision. Is there some feature I've missed that does exactly what I'm referencing?

TLDR;
Our Hikvision NVR records on motion only to conserve space. Does Hikvision have a feature to download multiple clips into a single playable standalone file rather than in individual files?