Hikvision w/ Raspberry Pi Alarm Input

SBBcarl

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone using a Hikvision NVR that has an alarm output feeding into a raspberry pi?

There seems to be a lot of potential with other home automation things that could be done when these triggers occur. Just trying to find the correct wiring setup from the NVR to the PI so that I can receive the output triggers.

Thoughts?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have much to add on this specific route, but I'm curious to see what others are doing.

I ended up not going down this route because the NVR alarm output seemed too general. Looked like it could alarm when a camera detected motion, but there was no way to tell which camera. For me, not knowing which camera really limited what I thought I could do with my HA system.

If you want to hardwire your NVR to your Pi, I had some luck a year or two ago with using PiFace Digital. It was pretty easy to detect when a loop was open/closed. It was fairly expensive though and probably overkill for just a single NVR alarm input... I was using it to monitor wired door sensors (meant for alarm systems), but a NVR alarm seems like it would work the same way. Probably a cheaper and better way for monitoring just one input.

If you have a HA system that supports z-wave, you could potentially skip the PI... find a z-wave sensor that supports alarm inputs, connect your NVR to that, and then your NVR can send a trigger wirelessly via z-wave.

SBBcarl

n3wb
Reaction score
Thats a good point - seems more like for a siren or something that would be hooked up to it.

I will look into the camera API. I have one thats pushing updates to my cameras at certain times of the day to adjust the image settings so I might make something that listens to the camera events and when motion/line cross is triggered on a specific camera and do something with it. Could even hook it up to a service like IFTTT.

Probably wont do anything like "turn on the porch lights" as my house would like like a damn strobe light with all the false triggers I get sometimes.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do your Hikvision cameras support "Smart Events"? They can help reduce false triggers a lot compared to using regular motion detection.