Hikvision with GeoVision software

wdrjack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Curious if you are planning on upgrading to GV-VMS from GV-NVR?

Or, based on your experiences with GV-NVR, would you instead switch to a different solution?
I have NVR at home and VMS at my business. Overall like the VMS better except for the playback.
Don't see enough improvement for me to upgrade to VMS since I have to purchase another 16ch license and NVR works with newer GV-Eye app.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two Geovision NVR systems & two 3rd party usb dongles. I am in the process of getting rid of an analog 1480 card to dump some older motion sensor (PIR) style cameras for some IP Onvif ones.

I have two locations & 20 cameras per location for a total of 40. I am moving to the VMS platform as I think it will get more support & the usb dongles are cheaper.

I am looking to add some Hikvision cameras to the mix & was trying to decide if I should get them for $115 on amazon or $75 on ebay. Seems to be the same model but if Geo doesnt care about firmware then I should be OK.

I have a number of older geovision cameras (BL220, 120, etc) & they have been working great but I have always had difficulties getting the focus 100% correct as putting the lens cover on seems to bump them slightly out of focus (sometimes).

A BL220 died on me & I have been thinking of swapping it with a DS-2CD2032 (Hikvision).

The combo of Geovision NVR or VMS & IPcamviewer has been great for my usage style.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have NVR at home and VMS at my business. Overall like the VMS better except for the playback.
Don't see enough improvement for me to upgrade to VMS since I have to purchase another 16ch license and NVR works with newer GV-Eye app.
Separately if you do want to move from NVR to VMS Geovision will convert the dongle for you (that s what I did) - it wasn't free but under $150.00 for the conversion - cheaper than a new dongle but they really should be upgrading customers to VMS for free on the dongles (imo).

wdrjack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Separately if you do want to move from NVR to VMS Geovision will convert the dongle for you (that s what I did) - it wasn't free but under $150.00 for the conversion - cheaper than a new dongle but they really should be upgrading customers to VMS for free on the dongles (imo).
$150 conversion for 20ch? Do have you mail in old dongle or do you get to keep it?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I kept it & it was all done via email with Geovision.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it is $150 to convert a 20 channel unit, how much does it cost to convert a 4 channel dongle? (4 Channel GV-NVR dongle normally retails for $200, so if upgrading it costs $150, that would be nuts, hopefully there is a discount on the lower channel dongle conversions).

And, how much to convert a single 1 channel dongle?

Also, which Geo support method did you use? The one I used didn't even know the cost to convert and they transferred me to sales and sales didn't respond.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately I dont know the price scheme. I do know my distributor seemed pissed off that they did the conversion (done last week). I would call http://www.usavisionsys.com/ which is Geovision USA.

I just called the main number & spoke to someone in sales.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately I dont know the price scheme. I do know my distributor seemed pissed off that they did the conversion (done last week). I would call http://www.usavisionsys.com/ which is Geovision USA.

A scheme is exactly what it is, because, this particular upgrade from GV-NVR to GV-VMS should be free or very close to free for what you get.

Was your distributor pissed off because they wanted to make more money on the deal?

When I checked with a distributor last week, they wanted $70 per camera just to provide me the converted dongle (GV-NVR to GV-VMS dongle). I thought that was ridiculous.

Was that near the ballpark of what your distributor wanted to charge you? ($70 per channel)

wdrjack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A scheme is exactly what it is, because, this particular upgrade from GV-NVR to GV-VMS should be free or very close to free for what you get.

Was your distributor pissed off because they wanted to make more money on the deal?

When I checked with a distributor last week, they wanted $70 per camera just to provide me the converted dongle (GV-NVR to GV-VMS dongle). I thought that was ridiculous.

Was that near the ballpark of what your distributor wanted to charge you? ($70 per channel)
Exactly why I decided to stick to NVR on old build. Upgrade should be around $10 per channel to be worthwhile.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Overall i am happy with VMS but I wouldnt say its a huge difference from NVR.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I kept it & it was all done via email with Geovision.
So you actually paid Geovision and not your distributor for the upgrade conversion, is that correct?

Whenever I ask Geo directly, they seem to not know about this upgrade for some reason. Odd.

And was it $150 for 20 cams? If so that would be $7.5 per 3rd party cam, is that also correct?

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks. I tried this with no joy. Do you happen to recall the name of the person you talked to? Also, If you would have had only half the number of licenses to upgrade, would the price have been reduced by 50% even, or is there some other pricing model they are following?