Hikvison nightmare password reset

Woolz

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys I am having a absolute nightmare with Hikvison customer service.
2 weeks I have been awaiting for answer in order to reset my admin password!! Just keep saying I need to contact my local installer as they can't help.
Awful customer service.
I have sent them pictures, xml files and a table with all my details and still they cannot help....
Very frustrating and now I have a camera system that I can not access..
Can anyone help

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
2 weeks I have been awaiting for answer in order to reset my admin password!!
What's the model of the camera, and what is the version of the firmware?
If it's earlier than 5.4.41 it may be vulnerable to the Hikvision backdoor, and if so the updated password reset utility from here would work : Hikvision camera admin password reset tool
And if it is - it's also possible to extract the configuration file, decrypt and decode it, and see the original password.

Woolz

n3wb
Reaction score
hi thanks for the reply - the camera actually all of a sudden was not working and the password was not accepted so i suspect a hacker.....
i have no idea why hackers honestly want to access IP cameras at home on view to my garden... but anyway...
MY FW version is OLD  v5.3.8 so again i suspect this being an issue.
Hikvison customer service is awful and i really hate the password reset protocol yuo have to go through to reset the password its crazy.

i will try to use the reset tool recommended ! thankyou

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i have no idea why hackers honestly want to access IP cameras at home on view to my garden...
But if they get into your camera - they also get into your LAN - and all the devices on it and possibly the data on them.
laptops, TVs, tablets, mobile phones, PCs, NAS boxes, router, Alexa, etc

Woolz

n3wb
Reaction score
update:
HIkvision password issue resolved (thanks Alastair)!!!!
interestingly enough the tool 'shields up' did not pick up any any UPNP ports on my network BUT double checking my 3 hikvision cameras & my virgin router.... all off them had the UPNP enabled.
its pretty clear i was hacked for the second time in 2 years.