HOA wants cameras but does know anything and I am offsite, so what is a reasonable solution - need advice

mattyp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so I my own system I got together from the advice in here, which I understand as the software and equipment is onsite. At this time i do not even connect my NVR (a NAS drive) to the internet.

The issue is I have a very small HOA I am part of that wants 1-2 cameras installed to monitor the parking lot as a deterannce and in the event something does happen. (Something did, which triggered this whole discussion). But they know NOTHING with it comes to tech, much less cams, POE switches, and NVRs. Soooo i cant expect them to understand the equipment, and I am offsite (its a rental condo i own).

As the only "tech guy" they come to me. But what is best solution here? A consumer grade cloud based wifi system? For this I assume at least 1 person would need to have a hub no matter what. I do not mind "maintaining" the system (or storing data) but I guess that is irrelevant if its cloud based.

I am looking for the easiest solution I may not have thought off.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A consumer grade cloud based wifi camera at best case will let them know what time it happened, but you won't get any details. And being wifi, it will poop out with motion and you will get nothing.

Do they want to OBSERVE or IDENTIFY?

Do they want plates?

How big is the parking lot?

Is there power available or potential to run Cat5?

As you can see there are way more questions to be answered before recommendations can be made.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
I'd convince the HOA that accessing remotely via smartphone is the least important item to consider, it'll simplify things and make it more secure.

Put the NVR and monitor in a locked closet or room with limited access.

If they have an event or have a reason to think it was captured on CCTV, then an appointed/trained person can physically visit the site and review and if need be, export the footage to be shown to the HOA.

I would keep the admin (top level) user confidential and allow the above person(s) just the rights to review clips, export, etc. but not able to make ANY configuration changes.

Maybe the same or another appointed person could, on schedule, check the NVR and cams for operability.

Last edited:

mattyp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A consumer grade cloud based wifi camera at best case will let them know what time it happened, but you won't get any details. And being wifi, it will poop out with motion and you will get nothing.

Do they want to OBSERVE or IDENTIFY?

Do they want plates?

How big is the parking lot?

Is there power available or potential to run Cat5?

As you can see there are way more questions to be answered before recommendations can be made.
Just observe. This is in the Bay area CA - you can hand the local Police a perfect picture, complete with license plate numbers - hell, you can tell them when the perpetrator last shaved and they aren't going to do jack shit about it in terms of investigation. SO hate to say it but its more a "what happened" type of thing. Just being realistic.

There is power capability, and we can run CAT5 under the garage awnings. However I am just worried if no one maintains the equipment and its left alone for too long (e.g. lets say there is a power outage) that it will be rendered useless.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that sucks. I guess in that case go with like ring if you have decent wifi. If you don't then go with something like arlo that provides its own wifi base so that it doesn't slow down the whole internet of whoever wifi is being used.

If they don't care about notifications and what not and just want to be able to playback, then consider some of Andy's cams with SD cards.

mattyp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If they don't care about notifications and what not and just want to be able to playback, then consider some of Andy's cams with SD cards.
Oh? Can you cite an example. This is an interesting options!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score