Holiday Computer deals - NVR hardware

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a Dell Micro Optiplex running an i3-7100t and have been looking for an upgrade as it struggles with 3x4k cameras and saw this deal.

Amazon NUC

It's normally on sale for $330 so this is a good deal, and has the Iris graphics.

The new 10th gen NUC don't have this good of graphics ironically, so thought it was a good deal.

Probably going to pick it up.

Anyone have similar finds?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
i5-8259U is roughly on par with i7-6700. You might consider getting the i7 variant which Amazon has a Used - Very Good listing for $246. It should be about 10% faster.

If you don't plan on reusing the Dell for another purpose, you could most likely transplant the storage and RAM into the new NUC and thereby avoid some of the cost of the upgrade.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest downsides of a NUC are:
1) No room for 3.5" hard drives. External USB drives are not reliable enough for me (I used to run one for a BI server and it just randomly disconnected sometimes).
2) Limited cooling capacity can be a problem if you run it hard for more than short bursts.
3) Larger systems are cheaper and can offer more powerful CPUs.

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The biggest downsides of a NUC are:
1) No room for 3.5" hard drives. External USB drives are not reliable enough for me (I used to run one for a BI server and it just randomly disconnected sometimes).
2) Limited cooling capacity can be a problem if you run it hard for more than short bursts.
3) Larger systems are cheaper and can offer more powerful CPUs.
If you see larger systems with those specs cheaper, do share

I export anything older than what fits on my 1tb 2.5" to a synology, and when my line is trenched to connect it hard wired, to a pair of r320s I'll run opennas or such on. Sadly the xeon in them doesn't have graphics so they're junk for an nvr.

So for me, smaller for now is better.

But those are good points for others!