Home alarm output to BlueIris

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger and moved from Dahua NVR to a dedicated BlueIris pc. I'm still in the building phase, so I only have a few cameras (5231) attached at the moment and trying to get familiar with the system and settings.

One of my golds is to adjust recording and alerting settings when my home alarm is "armed". My home alarm is a "closed system", so I can not alter any box etc. But I think I have found a workaround to get an on/off signal. I have an external electrical plug that I can program the way I want in my home alarm setup - Like "turn on if the alarm is armed"...

IMG_2101.jpg

Any suggestions on how I could get the on/off signal to be integrated to the pc/BlueIris?

Thank you for your help - Great forum by the way... have already spent hours/days/weeks on reading!

Attachments

Last edited:

Nonsense

n3wb
Reaction score
I think Blueiris can use something like Arduino as input. Add relay to that wireless socket that switches Arduinos digital IO state and then Arduino sends command to Blueiris? That is just one approach and there might be easier ones?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris does support single byte I/O devices such as an Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Blue Iris also supports the use of SeaLevel and MQTT (neither of which I am familiar with)

I have been planning on tinkering with this very same idea. I have been toying with the idea of a home security system using a raspberry pi (I have already wrote a couple test python scripts/code).

My plans were to have the system (using a raspberry pi + python) setup to use NFC cards on a keychain to arm/disarm the system. When the system was armed I would have a certain profile selected (my "away" profile in Blue Iris). Then when I got home I would disarm the alarm system and then blue iris would go into a different profile "At Home".

EDIT: You can also use a raspberry pi to do other things too such as a pressure sensitive doormat or an IR motion detector to trigger which would almost completely eliminate false alarms.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can also use the raspberry pi to send web command to the blue iris machine to do things like trigger the camera or change the ptz preset:

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will try the raspberry pi route. I have someone at work that can help me with the script, and will post my progression / result here.