Home CCTV security system

CB_1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum so apologies in advance. I am mega confused. I wish to set up home security cctv system for my elderly mother who lives on her own.

I have no problem in getting whatever needs doing set up but I just need to obtain all the items and good ones at a cost effective price as I know it will be expensive to an extent budget let's say £1000. I have seen the package Swann ones from Costco not sure if they are any good but I have been told I will be better off getting whatever I need separately so have better cameras.

Can someone please advise if I was to get the following camera Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mm 4MP Turett.

What else would I need to get?

Many thanks in advance for help and assistance.

CB x

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to flesh out the requirements detail a bit.
e.g
Is it for internal or external surveillance, or for monitoring?
What does the environment consist of?
How will the system be used / what if any notifications / monitoring are envisaged?
What previous or existing or obvious threats are there that need to be countered?
Etc.
A thumbnail sketch of what you have in mind would likely generate some responses.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also the size / style of house is very relevant

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum so apologies in advance. I am mega confused. I wish to set up home security cctv system for my elderly mother who lives on her own.

I have no problem in getting whatever needs doing set up but I just need to obtain all the items and good ones at a cost effective price as I know it will be expensive to an extent budget let's say £1000. I have seen the package Swann ones from Costco not sure if they are any good but I have been told I will be better off getting whatever I need separately so have better cameras.

Can someone please advise if I was to get the following camera Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mm 4MP Turett.

What else would I need to get?

Many thanks in advance for help and assistance.

CB x
I have the hik 2342 I can show you some images of the camera. But I promise with that camera you will need a lot of extra light at night. But in the day time it has very nice image

CB_1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the replies

I am in the U.K. Live in a mid terrace house. We have been burgled a few times and someone was trying to break in through the front door the other night ! Luckily I was staying over and heard some noise only to find someone trying to get in through the front door.

I am looking possibly to have one/two cameras our front so they cover drive and front door. Maybe one inside facing the front door and one outside at the back. It must have good quality picture/ video during day and night. I want to be able to record etc too so I can go back and check if needs be.

I'd rather have wired than wireless.

I wasn't sure if you can be altered to anything happening how does that work?

I am not sure what else I need to say as I am so confused after reading so much!

Ryan - whAt do you mean extra light? But yes pictures would help.

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This camera: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
This camera works very well in the daylight and at night.

You would need cameras, network wiring, and an NVR (Network Video Recorder)

The cameras connect to the NVR, the NVR provides power to the cameras and records the video.

Please explain what else it is you are confused about.

Wired is the only reliable way.

Does she have an alarm system? Cameras will only tell you what happened, and hopefully who did it.

Have the doors been properly reinforced?

A good baseball bat can be handy as well, since you've been stripped of your right to defend yourself otherwise.