Home monitoring alternatives?

WolfR1der

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I found this great forum a while ago and based on reading here have started looking into Amcrest cameras for the home. However I would also like something that's monitored and capable of calling police if a monitor is tripped. We currently have Xfinity but I want to get away from them. I was considering Ring since they support ONVIF however it would appear that they only support 1080p camera resolution. Some of the Amcrest cameras I was considering were 4k with 3.6mm lenses for better video quality. This obviously won't work well or at all with Ring.

Does anyone know of alternative companies that support full security features (door/window sensors, cameras, motion sensors, etc) that will also support higher or full resolution for cameras that are capable of greater than 1080? Or perhaps alternative/hybrid setups that still support something like Ring that can notify authorities if necessary.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The amcrest 4k would not be better quality as they shove 4k on a sensor designed for 2MP so a native 2MP camera will actually outperform it at night.

For monitoring purposes, 2MP along with an active security system is more than sufficient.

WolfR1der

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's good to know. Will help save money not buying an underused sensor.

Reaction score
Check out Wyze cams. They can be monitored for a fee. While most of us here would say that security systems should not be WIFI, it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. I have three Wyze cams in my motorcoach for when it is at the storage yard. It works fine for that purpose.

At my home I do not use WIFI cams for mission critical uses. I only use hard wired cams for that.