Home Pc that also runs Blue Iris 24/7 that needs remote access without having to port forward and compromise the Pc or network.

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This pc also use Private internet access VPN (because you know, streaming) and I was wondering how I can make this work.

Details of my setup

Computer that runs Private internet access VPN with Two NICs installed
First Nic connects to router that gives me access to the internet
Second NIC that connects to a Router that has no internet connection, but is where all of my security cameras are connected to. basically isolating them from the internet.

Ive been running my system this way for quite some time, and it works, but now Im wanting to remote view/manage my blue iris server without having to expose a port on my network to the outside world for me to view blue iris. What are the alternatives? Guides?
I dont want to get rid of my vpn as its running 24/7

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure if you can run the two types of VPN services simultaneously on the same box.

VPN service type #1 - the one you are currently using for anonymizing your web surfing traffic
VPN service type #2 - VPN server service that allows you to securely access LAN resources from a remote location

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure if you can run the two types of VPN services simultaneously on the same box.

VPN service type #1 - the one you are currently using for anonymizing your web surfing traffic
VPN service type #2 - VPN server service that allows you to securely access LAN resources from a remote location
Thats kind of what im trying to figure out. will they interfere? my router doesnt have a vpn server/option so i was wondering if i could just route everything through the pc/ private internet access. basically im trying to do everthing from the blue iris pc

Last edited:

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Probably easier to just buy a new router that has OpenVPN or some other type built in, point and click setup and be done. Asus routers have some good options at fair price points.

stevenjus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably easier to just buy a new router that has OpenVPN or some other type built in, point and click setup and be done. Asus routers have some good options at fair price points.
that means that every device in the house will be running through that vpn correct? how will that affect the rest of devices?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
that means that every device in the house will be running through that vpn correct? how will that affect the rest of devices?
No. Unless maybe you want to set it up that way. This would be for outside clients (e.g. your phone on mobile) to establish secure INCOMING connections into your network. Not for out-going connections to whatever Internet site from inside.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No. Unless maybe you want to set it up that way. This would be for outside clients (e.g. your phone on mobile) to establish secure INCOMING connections into your network. Not for out-going connections to whatever Internet site from inside.
What he said

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have same setup as you and use Zerotier and/or Tailscale to access BI remotely via remote PC's and Iphone.
Works great with the BI ap, ui3 and RDP (if using Windows Pro)
Tailscale (and probably Zerotier) works when using Express VPN is in operation on the main system.
When installed on your BI PC the other devices on your network are not running through TS or ZT with the standard setup.

Last edited: