Home security and BI integration to bypass geofence?

jasong127

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I've struggled with Geofence and finally gave up. Works only some of the time.

So... I have an AdvisorOne home security system loaded with Z-wave, Bluetooth and wi-fi capabilities. It also has reporting capabilities.

Is there a way (ANYWAY) to integrate BI with a home security system so that when the system is armed, the switches to GREEN LIGHT, and when disarmed, RED LIGHT. BTW, the only difference in my red/green light config is one sends push notifications, the other doesn't. All recording functionality remains the same.

This seems that it would be so much easier and surefire rather than counting on geofence to ping my phone properly.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can get into programming on the AdvisorOne you could probably set one of the outputs to follow the armed disarmed state then run a wire from that to some kind of input device hooked to your computer (like a sealevel device).

I'd expect a fair amount of frustration, but you also may able able to turn on a zwave device when the system is armed and maybe you could tell if the system is armed using some home automation software and a zwave stick.

IDK if there's any sort of API/SDK for the advisorone or local web interface.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I've struggled with Geofence and finally gave up. Works only some of the time.

So... I have an AdvisorOne home security system loaded with Z-wave, Bluetooth and wi-fi capabilities. It also has reporting capabilities.

Is there a way (ANYWAY) to integrate BI with a home security system so that when the system is armed, the switches to GREEN LIGHT, and when disarmed, RED LIGHT. BTW, the only difference in my red/green light config is one sends push notifications, the other doesn't. All recording functionality remains the same.

This seems that it would be so much easier and surefire rather than counting on geofence to ping my phone properly.
Search google for blue iris and zwave...lots of info...you can easily send commands to change profiles with the right apps or code...no need for any additional hardware..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Search google for blue iris and zwave...lots of info...you can easily send commands to change profiles with the right apps or code...no need for any additional hardware..
The limiting factor is more the AdvisorOne than blueiris or other zwave components. At least a little hardware would be required, this could a zwave stick or controller like vera or smart things (if it will play nice with the advisor one). Alarm systems with zwave pretty much always want to be the zwave controller. There are things that will probably work, but it gets a little tricky.

Reaction score
Fenderman, For the same reason as jasong127 I've been looking for a way to remotely change profiles in BI for some time now, and the only way I've seen this possible (so far) is by a addon to SmartThings software. But i'm not keen on going ST just for that function. In fact, I'm not keen on involving zwave at all. Not right now anyway.
Do you know if it's possible to change profile in BI via a I/O device?
It would be excellent to be able to use my home alarm I/O to change behaviour of my cameras. A USB I/O connected in my BI computer would be the only additional hardware and there would be no coding and also the security of hardwired connection between BI and home alarm.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fenderman, For the same reason as jasong127 I've been looking for a way to remotely change profiles in BI for some time now, and the only way I've seen this possible (so far) is by a addon to SmartThings software. But i'm not keen on going ST just for that function. In fact, I'm not keen on involving zwave at all. Not right now anyway.
Do you know if it's possible to change profile in BI via a I/O device?
It would be excellent to be able to use my home alarm I/O to change behaviour of my cameras. A USB I/O connected in my BI computer would be the only additional hardware and there would be no coding and also the security of hardwired connection between BI and home alarm.
Yes this is possible. There are a number of threads on the subject. Options include: sealevel usb and ethernet based devices and arduino or pi based options. Home automation devices also work.
Consult the built in help file for blue iris.

Overall people have had better success with networked devices than USB devices iirc. Any networked device that can hit the REST API is capable of doing the job.

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.
The possibility to use an I/O device is known. But nowhere in BI could I see a setting for changing profile accordingly to bit or state in I/O device.
Could not find anything in the helpfile either and BI support has not yet answered my e-mail. Hence my question here.

Thanks for the tip regarding ethernet over USB by the way.
REST API is not my strong area.

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.
The possibility to use an I/O device is known. But nowhere in BI could I see a setting for changing profile accordingly to bit or state in I/O device.
Could not find anything in the helpfile either and BI support has not yet answered my e-mail. Hence my question here.

Thanks for the tip regarding ethernet over USB by the way.
REST API is not my strong area.
Did you get any where with this? i am looking to do the exact same thing

Reaction score
No, not yet. Sadly I have too little spare time to dig in to this as deep as I'd like.

BI support came back with an answer thanking me for a good idea of improvement , so hopefully this will be implemented in the future.

What I have learned though, is that with some programming on my raspberry pi, it would be possible to hardwire the alarm system to the i/o-pins on the pi (where I currently run my rather simple home automation setup) , and then have a script sending a message over the LAN to change profile in BI. But this is more than I can accomplish by my self right now, so that will have to remain just an idea right now.

If something comes up I'll try to remember to update here.

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, not yet. Sadly I have too little spare time to dig in to this as deep as I'd like.

BI support came back with an answer thanking me for a good idea of improvement , so hopefully this will be implemented in the future.

What I have learned though, is that with some programming on my raspberry pi, it would be possible to hardwire the alarm system to the i/o-pins on the pi (where I currently run my rather simple home automation setup) , and then have a script sending a message over the LAN to change profile in BI. But this is more than I can accomplish by my self right now, so that will have to remain just an idea right now.

If something comes up I'll try to remember to update here.
what problems did you have with the geofence? and was it ios or andriod you are using?

Reaction score
I haven't tried the geofence function at all. That was someone else I'm afraid.
The reason I haven't tried it is because we have 4 different phones in the household, and I just think it'll be to complicated to rely on. But as I wrote, I haven't tried it at all, so I may be wrong.