Home security system (ring vs vista 20p wireless)

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am going to add a security system to compliment my cameras. I have 3 doors and 8 windows I want to add sensors to and two keypad panels one by my upstairs door and one by my downstairs. My primary goal is to get phone notifications when someone enters or leaves the house by tripping a door or window sensors. I also want the system to siren an alarm when triggered if in an active state. Seems pretty simple and I feel like for the price ring seems like a solid choice. I have hated their cameras but their software always seemed very intuitive and functional when I’ve seen friends use it. For an easy and user friendly software for my wife this option seemed appealing.

However from my research on here and Reddit it seems most hard core security guys recommend a classic vista 20p with additional modules to give phone notifications. However most of these opinions seem to also urge for hardwire which is not possible for me for my sensors. So il be relying on wireless.

So my question is this. How does ring wireless technology compare to the vista 20p wireless technology. Also how does the total connect 2.0 compare to the ring phone integration/app? Any reason I should choose one over the other if I am going a self monitoring route?

ring is 229 dollars right now for their complete set whereas vista 20p wireless kits are at about 400ish. For my use case is it worth the extra money?

In case it’s important I use a Eap670 wap so wifi in my house is very strong. The ring hub or the vista 20p wireless module will be in very close proximity to the wap under my steps if that’s a good or Bad thing for interference!l between either options wireless technologies!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While the first preference is wired systems, sometimes you gotta go with what works.

Ring is a popular choice by many here. Although the cameras have a lot to be desired and are typically avoided here, the Ring security system is a solid choice.

Now granted they have changed their terms and conditions and have increased their costs. It used to be you could use the mobile app and get notifications and arm/disarm without the subscription, but you now need the subscription. Also it used to be $100 and is now $200 if you pay for a year in advance. It is still cheaper than comparable systems.

The wifi your house has is insignificant as Ring wifi sensors use Z-wave and they only interact with the Ring base station and as such are on different frequencies, so interference shouldn't be an issue.

We saw that Roku recently came out with a system as well that is currently cheaper than Ring. But I suspect they will eventually fall in line with what Ring does and charge more. If they even decide to stay in this business.

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am going to add a security system to compliment my cameras. I have 3 doors and 8 windows I want to add sensors to and two keypad panels one by my upstairs door and one by my downstairs. My primary goal is to get phone notifications when someone enters or leaves the house by tripping a door or window sensors. I also want the system to siren an alarm when triggered if in an active state. Seems pretty simple and I feel like for the price ring seems like a solid choice. I have hated their cameras but their software always seemed very intuitive and functional when I’ve seen friends use it. For an easy and user friendly software for my wife this option seemed appealing.

However from my research on here and Reddit it seems most hard core security guys recommend a classic vista 20p with additional modules to give phone notifications. However most of these opinions seem to also urge for hardwire which is not possible for me for my sensors. So il be relying on wireless.

So my question is this. How does ring wireless technology compare to the vista 20p wireless technology. Also how does the total connect 2.0 compare to the ring phone integration/app? Any reason I should choose one over the other if I am going a self monitoring route?

ring is 229 dollars right now for their complete set whereas vista 20p wireless kits are at about 400ish. For my use case is it worth the extra money?

In case it’s important I use a Eap670 wap so wifi in my house is very strong. The ring hub or the vista 20p wireless module will be in very close proximity to the wap under my steps if that’s a good or Bad thing for interference!l between either options wireless technologies!
I’ve installed 100’s of Vista systems, 15 all the way to 250 over the past 20 years. Much different than a Ring system.

For the more complete system, you’ll want the Vista. The 20p is a great one for residential. Wired is great but not always an option. Honestly, wireless with their 5881 and 5800 series devices is bulletproof outside of some battery changes every few years. Total Connect is cool but you’ll need to go with professional monitoring to have a dealer activate the communicator for you whether Ethernet, cell, wifi, or dual path. Not as easy as doing over wifi like the Ring. If you want to self monitor you can go with an Envisalink module to somewhat replicate Total Connect with an Ethernet connection. Tons of other Resideo peripheral devices too.

If you want simplicity and ease of use, Ring will be that. You have to go with their monitoring plan but you can set that up yourself and even do over wifi. Lick and stick. Has the notifications and the app is easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hdjdkkd

n3wb
Reaction score
Off the top of my head…

pros of Vista:
-Option for exterior wired siren
-keypad has text visual display
-option for hardwired smoke and CO Devices

Cons of Vista:
-must pay $$$ for their clunky TC app (ring is only $30 a year)
-must pay $$$ for cellular backup device and subscription
--technology and programming are from the 1960’s!! (Ring is Amazon technology! Up and running in minutes via app! Ring app is stunning)
-no proper way to integrate with hardwire smoke and CO (ring has a wireless ‘listener’ for $35
-parts are expensive (Ring parts and accessories are cheap!)
-etc
-etc

Last edited:

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. All good info and gives me a lot to think about.

Reaction score
I installed a DSC 1864 (?) for a DIY system. Knowing I was going to toss 40+ Cat6 cables in my house, I opted to run both video, data, coaxial, alarm wiring everywhere. I mean come one...it's just drywall :) Simple patch.
I have integrated it into my Home Assistant system (when a door alarm is triggered, the specific camera group goes into alert mode as well). I do not pay any $$$ for any monthly subcription as I do not have a need for any app or cellular backup.

Reaction score
Kind of looking at Simply Safe.

Just need to monitor one door. I have WIFI connection to internet via cellular. Need something that will send a text or a notification to a mobile app. Prefer a remote to carry to turn on and off.

Simply Safe has all of this but seems to have things I don't need. Any recommendations?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Just finished up a vista20p install yesterday. Very happy with it. Would Recommend. App seems to be good too

.5ED2115B-BEE1-4C6A-BD10-D97FF21FF2A6.jpegDA4A9D98-261A-4628-B1B1-8D20E7711EE6.jpegScreenshot (6).pngScreenshot 2023-09-23 103741.png

had too replace the wbox horn with a honeywell 719. was making a buzzing noise for some reason. I also added a smoke detector on zone 1