Home Video Surveillance - Security + Baby Monitoring. Wifi + Wired. Help.

Reaction score
Hi,

i just purchased a new home. We were doing some renovations and so i was able to get a few rooms easily wired with CAT 6 cables. I have described my proposed setup below and would appreciate any recommendations on how i can achieve this. im new to video monitoring but have a general awareness of networking.

1) wired camera at front door (POE - i have a cat 6 outlet by my front door)
2) wired camera with audio for baby room (two-way audio is preferable but not necessary - id at least like to hear my child) - i have a cat 6 wire running into the room
3) wifi camera for backyard (i dont have wires running to back yard)
4) id like to connect all of these to an nvr and then be able to easily access the recorded video if needed
5) id also like to access any of these camera live real time via a mobile device and over the web

my questions:
1) can you combine a system that has wired (poe - cat 5/6 only) and wifi cameras?
2) any recommendations on camera for baby room based on my needs
3) how do i set this all up so that i can access the system at any time preferably using a single interface / software

Thanks for your help.​

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

2) wired camera with audio for baby room (two-way audio is preferable but not necessary - id at least like to hear my child) - i have a cat 6 wire running into the room

Luvion make some really good video baby monitors with two way audio. I can't think of an IP camera that will sleep when nothing is happening. A video baby monitor will be a black screen that is mute until the set threshold is reached at which point it comes on to alert you to what is happening. If you don't want a glowing screen on in your bedroom at night they are a good choice.

jesseallen

n3wb
Reaction score
According to your needs, full HD cameras will be good (720p isn't enough). And network cameras will be excellent.:cool: As for you budget, you can find some good options from local retailers online. Most of them do keep a wide variety of cameras from all major manufacturers, and can also assist you in setting them up in case you need help.

fooey

n3wb
Reaction score
I use the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F that Abbell linked to above as a baby cam - It's wired via the ethernet in the room, but temporary held to a cupboard via some duct tape. Later on this may be repurposed as the hallway camera facing the front door and installed properly.