Home Window Tinting and UV Screens

Reaction score
Here where I live in San Antonio, the sun is brutal on the front and sides of my home, most of the day. I DO have double pane windows (why the original owner did not install them..idk) so I am looking for a way to cut the heat coming into our house down somewhat.
I know UV Screens work...some of my friends have them. There's 80% vs 90%, black, brown, etc. I am also looking at tinting some of the windows that I do not have screens on as well. Not concerned about privacy, more of the heat blocking.

Any likes, dislikes from any of you that have done this? Aesthetically, I have seen the dark screens look good and bad on some home exteriors.

Any thoughts, experiences, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In our old house, also North of Houston, the house was facing West, bad choice in my youth, anyway, we ended up losing the front yard tree which supplied a lot of shade for our Livingroom front windows. Man the heat came in strong without that tree. We also put tint on the windows and solar screens up. Huge difference, BUT, it will definitely darken the room. Our new house we put solar screens on all windows. They darken the rooms some but not bad. Good thing they give privacy, you cannot see in during the day but strangling enough you can see in better at night with room lights on. Guess they knock out the glare of the glass on the windows.

One thing I don't like about the screens is the ones we have they come out measure the whole window then use self-tapping screws to mount the screens. This makes it not easy to clean the windows.

You may want to try the window film at first, since it could be easily removed, before you have holes in your windows from the solar screens.

FYI, we have had our solar screens for 11 years now and they still look good. I kind a like them, it is like putting sunglasses on your house :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good point, so back then, 20 years ago, the film we picked from the choice of reflective, almost mirror type, to the non, but with solar screens on too it would not matter as much.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like they make the stuff in clear. So, you don't even need to consider aesthetics:
Yep, that is the way to go. I may have to look at that film for our high sun areas.

I will say ours never bubbled/pealed or gave us any problems and I think we had it on for about 10 years. Even if you have to reapply/install it every 10 years, no biggie...

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your advice and experience! I just did two screens, and although they work, they did bow inwards a bit in the middle, but we RARELY open our windows, so it doesn't truly matter. I am just removing the old screen and puttling the Phifer SunTex 80 in. Crap is much thicker then the original screen, gonna have to rethink the next screens I do...just don't like the bowing. 2nd screen is acceptable, first is not. Waiting on more material to come in. So I guess I will screen the bottom, and use film on the top. They did not have screens made for the upper portion of the windows. Will post some pics later.

Reaction score
Just a couple of pics. I finally got all of the window film put on. Great stuff, and petty easy actually. More of a pain moving furniture around to get to the windows. Has done two things: cooled off the house and made it darker inside as well.
But we are OK with that, as we knew it would. One of the deck, the top doesn't have film, as the sun doesn't really hit those windows.

20230612_095757.jpg20230615_200848.jpg20230615_200834.jpg20230615_200721.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been on a quest to cut our electric bill by at least 30% without us suffering. The steps for this are as follows:

1. DONE-Insulate garage doors
2. DONE-Place temp controlled exhaust fans in garage
3. DONE-Replace all screen with Solar Screen
4. DONE-Tint all windows that are not covered by Solar Screen
5. DONE-Place insulation inside of all electrical plates, covers.
6. Install attic gable vents (open the one I have in the front above my garage) (this will help with the new roof and ridge vents and will
also help to vent air from the Whole House Fan when installed)
7. Insulate over garage ceiling in attic
8. Install whole house fan in fall 2023
9. New AC in Spring 2024

Having done the garage doors, THAT made a huge difference in the temps of the garage. Not once last summer was it cooler in our garage then it was outside. This year, it has been. And when my wife pulls her car in, the exhaust fans are set to come on at a certain temp, and this quickly drops the temp in the garage by at least 4 to 6 degree's in about 20-30 minutes, depending on just how hot it is outside. The exhaust tubes are pointing to the ridge vents.

20230325_203125.jpg20230404_112007.jpg

20230513_142933.jpg20230521_174031.jpg20230515_073551.jpg

I am still researching Whole House Fans, but I know that we do use the AC even during fall, winter and spring, way more then we should be. Of course, during hot and humid days, we will not be using it. Also, I am going to have to place some air filters in the windows that I do open up to get the air flow going due to my daughters allergies.

How many of you have any experience with or use a Whole House Fan? Would really appreciate your input. They are pricey, but in this instance, I do believe you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been on a quest to cut our electric bill by at least 30% without us suffering. The steps for this are as follows:

1. DONE-Insulate garage doors
2. DONE-Place temp controlled exhaust fans in garage
3. DONE-Replace all screen with Solar Screen
4. DONE-Tint all windows that are not covered by Solar Screen
5. DONE-Place insulation inside of all electrical plates, covers.
6. Install attic gable vents (open the one I have in the front above my garage) (this will help with the new roof and ridge vents and will
also help to vent air from the Whole House Fan when installed)
7. Insulate over garage ceiling in attic
8. Install whole house fan in fall 2023
9. New AC in Spring 2024

Having done the garage doors, THAT made a huge difference in the temps of the garage. Not once last summer was it cooler in our garage then it was outside. This year, it has been. And when my wife pulls her car in, the exhaust fans are set to come on at a certain temp, and this quickly drops the temp in the garage by at least 4 to 6 degree's in about 20-30 minutes, depending on just how hot it is outside. The exhaust tubes are pointing to the ridge vents.

View attachment 166066View attachment 166067

View attachment 166063View attachment 166064View attachment 166065

I am still researching Whole House Fans, but I know that we do use the AC even during fall, winter and spring, way more then we should be. Of course, during hot and humid days, we will not be using it. Also, I am going to have to place some air filters in the windows that I do open up to get the air flow going due to my daughters allergies.

How many of you have any experience with or use a Whole House Fan? Would really appreciate your input. They are pricey, but in this instance, I do believe you get what you pay for.
Making sure your attic is properly vented is a huge overall help.

Some swear by putting reflecting insulation on the underneath side of your roof in the attic. Or if you are getting a new roof, insulation that reflects heat under the roofing can help.
A light colored roof can also help.

Insulating the ceiling in your garage will help A LOT in the garage. I would use Rock Wool insulation, it's a higher R value per inch. R19 would be the minimum.

You also want to make sure ALL openings from the conditioned space into the attic are sealed, such as over bulkheads in kitchens, around any pipe or wiring that goes into the attic. Pot lights in the ceiling should be rated air tight and sealed properly.

Myself, I think more energy is wasted through a whole house fan than it saves. And if your daughter has bad allergies, that will only make them worse. Regular filters on the windows won't cut it, they would need to be true HEPA filters.
The problem with the whole house fan is that you can't properly seal it or insulate it when it's turned off, it WILL leak some air unless you go to great lengths to seal it up. Which you would need to do each time you turned it off. And that air leaking will cause more allergens to be present in the house. Take a 1/8" gap around that fan, times the distance around the fan, and you could have the same as an 18" hole in the ceiling if the fan is 36"x36".

My son purchased a house once upon a time that had an existing whole house fan, and it was obvious pretty quickly how much heat and air leaked past it when it was off. In the Winter, ugh forgetaboutit.
After the first winter in the house, we took the fan out, and patched up the hole properly, insulated it well, and his overall utility bill went down significantly.

The sad truth is, that most contractors, even today, do a crap job of insulating and sealing up a house properly.
Stuffing insulation into your outlet box's won't stop air movement, you need to use something that actually seals, such as spray foam. Check to see if that is allowed by code.

Check your walls in the garage to see if they are actually insulated especially the ones that are adjoining living spaces.

When getting a new AC, the key is to find that correct dealer that knows what they are actually doing as far as sizing unit, the higher the SEER on the unit the better.
But the installation can make or break it.

The dealer that comes along and just blindly installs the same size unit as your old one, isn't doing you any favors. Ask them to do a proper "manual J'" heat load calculation to determine what is needed. Its important that they also "balance" the system properly at time of install. The duct work may need to be changed. If you have ducts in the attic, where they shouldn't be, make certain they are properly sealed and Insulted.

Good luck.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The current insulation in your attic could be suspect, or been trampled over the yrs, and not doing it's proper job.
It can sometimes be worthwhile, if you can find an insulation contractor that actually knows what they are doing, to have them remove the old attic insulation, make certain all penetrations are sealed into the attic, then using spray foam where appropriate or blown in cellulose, can make a huge difference.
They also would need to make sure that any soffit vents are adequate and free for air movement. They can do things to make sure those vents stay clear over the years from dirt and insulation blowing around.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can check for insulation in walls by removing a outlet plate, then with a good flash light, you can usually see into the wall via the crack between the box and the sheet rock.
If the crack is too small to see, you can use a small screw driver to enlarge a hole so you can see, that wouldn't be seen after the plate is installed, and the hole would be easily patched. No paint repair required.