Honeywell 6150 vs 6160

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I am installing a vista 20p alarm system in a friends house and need 3 keypads. First question is can I connect 3 keypads to this system? 2nd question is can I mix the keypads? 2 x 6150’s and 1 x 6160. Thanks!

Reaction score
Yes you can. Just make sure you assign each keypad its own address (ex. 6160 set to address 16, 1st 6150 address 17, 2nd 6150 address 18). You can get 6160's at a fairly reasonable price on eBay, why not just use all 6160's? I'm not a fan of the fixed display keypads like the 6150's.

These are basic questions that you should know that answer to if you're installing this system. I suggest you fully read over the programming guide and installation manual before you install it.

How many devices are you going to install on this system and will it include fire and CO? Also, are you going to be using wireless sensors?

Let us know if you need any additional help.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes you can. Just make sure you assign each keypad its own address (ex. 6160 set to address 16, 1st 6150 address 17, 2nd 6150 address 18). You can get 6160's at a fairly reasonable price on eBay, why not just use all 6160's? I'm not a fan of the fixed display keypads like the 6150's.

These are basic questions that you should know that answer to if you're installing this system. I suggest you fully read over the programming guide and installation manual before you install it.

How many devices are you going to install on this system and will it include fire and CO? Also, are you going to be using wireless sensors?

Let us know if you need any additional help.
Thanks for the reply and the tip! I have installed many Honeywell vista systems back 20 yrs ago, so it may all come back to me once I open up the programming guide, (I hope). As for ordering the equipment, I have a account at ADI global and there prices seem ok. I will check ebay though. A friend of a friend just built a new house to flip and the electricians ran security wire also. front door(recessed), patio door, overhead garage door, back door garage, 2 glass breaks upstairs, 3 keypads, and a indoor siren. nothing fancy. I figured I would only get 1 x 6160 for ease of programming as they are $130 CAD ea. whereas the 6150 is only $60.00. I will suggest all 3 to be 6160's and I will definitely let you know if i have issues. Thanks again.

Reaction score
No problem. The Vista 20p hasn't changed that much in the past 20 years besides the addition of graphic touchscreen keypads, IP/LTE communicators, remote interactive services and the addition of a CO (Carbon Monoxide) zone type. However, the main difference between an install now vs 20 years ago is that no one is using a phone line anymore. So hopefully they did not run a phone line to the system because it won't be useful. Plan on purchasing an LTE or IP/LTE communicator that connects to the ECP bus. I also recommend dual path IP/LTE like the LTEM-PV. It sounds like you're in Canada so you're going to need a module that compatible with your LTE network.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
POTS lines will be completely decommissioned here in the US by this fall from what I've seen. No more copper lines.
Yep, M-I-L got AT&T uVerse at her place 5 years ago, decent Internet speed but phone is VOIP, can't dial out/ ring in if no local utility power. An external UPS or an internal battery on the Pace 5268 router/modem may allow it to work, depending on how/where the power's out, but that's more crap to maintain.

"For the times they are a-changin'...." :blankstare:
- Bob Dylan 1961

Last edited: