Hoping for clearer stills of high speed flying by's.

snoyes34231

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Might be the wrong area, what cam settings would improve the quaility of the stills taken from video of these fly-bys?
I edit he vidoes in Shotcut. I'm thinking I need to speed up the shutter speed? They are shown first a the speed caputured, then I slow down the footage to 1/10 speed .
what night quality will i loose by increasing the shutter speed. I'm sure there is a trade off somewhere.
the camera is a IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE

exposure.JPGmake_sharper.JPGfly_by.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to go to manual priority where you can set the shutter and gain. Under your setup gain may be cranked at 100. Need to set it around 50.

Drop the NR down to where it is acceptable noise to you. Try getting in the 30s

The other parameters such as gamma and brightness and contrast, etc play a role as well. Try not to take any much beyond 50 and contrast should be about 6-8 higher than brightness.

Consider dropping FPS some. Even though the camera is spec'd for that, real world has shown problems in some instances.

Set bitrate to CBR. That is a tight view and it can't get higher fast enough under VBR.

Most here run that cam at 15 FPS with 8192 bit rate. You are running 30FPS at same bitrate, so you have half the bit rate per frame as a result.

I recognize you are trying for the clean capture and is a different use case, but if the camera can't keep up at 30FPS you will get blur. Maybe at 15 FPS the camera can keep up.

As you noted it is shutter speed that gets the clean capture not FPS.

And of course more infrared would help.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj gave excellent advice as always.

You are correct that you need to increase the shutter speed. 1/250th is probably fine for most general movement, but trying to capture a flying squire isn't a "normal" capture. I'd go to at least 1/500th and you might have to go higher than that. Of course this is always a balancing act and this is why wittaj advice is so key. You'll need to make more adjustments than just cranking the shutter to 1/1000th in order to get the best "balanced" image.

Last edited:

snoyes34231

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thanks to both.. I'll play with the settings.. the current settings are super for slow/still raccoons.. but i can see those anytime.. the recent flying squirrels are pretty cool.
Hoping to gert some better images pulled out...
Also, I have an IR iluminator I can add for MORE light.
For some reason the camera was set to VBR while the NVR showed CBR, I have lowered the frame rate to 25 and confirmed both the camera AND nvr are now set to CBR.
I'll mess with the other setting once it's dark..