House Camera Setup and LPR Advice

schunter1969

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Based on the road and planned camera position, the camera will be capturing LP approximately 40-60ft away. Would the IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E provide a better image to allow for LPR while not being zoomed in as much as the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E? So basically I would have a larger field of vision?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
For cameras #4 & #5 I am considering the IPC-T2431T-AS or IPC-T2231T-ZS

Thoughts?
Just off the top of my head without doing more research the IPC-T2431T-AS and the IPC-T2231T-ZS probably would not make the cut for me. The former has a 1/3" sensor which is going to be inferior at night to a 4MP with a 1/1.8" sensor. On the later, it doesn't have a microphone as I recall so I'd rather have one with the option to turn it off. Kind of cool to hear the pitter-patter of the coyotes running through your yard and them calling out to each other. Really what you had ought to do is do a search on this forum or Google with the model number...for Google include "ipcamtalk" along with the model number....that way you'll get better commentary, comparisons, pros and cons.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Based on the road and planned camera position, the camera will be capturing LP approximately 40-60ft away. Would the IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E provide a better image to allow for LPR while not being zoomed in as much as the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E? So basically I would have a larger field of vision?
In theory the Z4 would work yes, but it will be zoomed in about the same area. The target is the plate, don’t count on any worthwhile overview area beyond that. Think in terms of a dedicated plate camera that is likely not good for much else.

The AI on the 5442 could be helpful too, but from an SD card or compatible NVR

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
"You can't always get what you want" to quote the Rolling Stones....

I have three of the IPC-T5442TM-AS and they are fine cams but you better know what focal length you desire (2.8mm, 3.6mm, 6mm) because it's not a varifocal cam. You should use the IPVM calculator to understand that which you seek.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct the 5442AS turret is NOT a good choice for LPR. I referenced the Z4 bullet. Two different things.

To be safe just do the VF 5241 Z12 bullet for LPR then.

schunter1969

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright so I got my system up and running... and I definitely got the itch for more cameras! Anyways I got four IPC-T5442TM-AS around the house and one IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E looking down the road for LPR. I have an Elitedesk 800 G2 I7-6700 16gb ram operating on a 500gb sdd and the video recording to a 10tb hhd. My IT buddy is going to hook me up with a managed switch but for now im running a BV-TECH POE-SW811. I am still figuring out blue iris but I have the bullet camera almost dialed in for LPR. I mounted the bullet camera 12ft off the ground and really glad I didn't mount it higher.

Attachments

schunter1969

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used cat6 cable rated for direct burial. Where the cable comes out of the house and into the ground I put a piece of conduit there and for where the cable comes out of the ground and goes to the cable I put a piece of conduit there. I did this to protect the cable for lawn equipment. I tucked the cable into the tree bark and I carefully used wire staples to secure it to the tree.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I used cat6 cable rated for direct burial. Where the cable comes out of the house and into the ground I put a piece of conduit there and for where the cable comes out of the ground and goes to the cable I put a piece of conduit there. I did this to protect the cable for lawn equipment. I tucked the cable into the tree bark and I carefully used wire staples to secure it to the tree.
I noticed you had done an excellent job of tucking/hiding the wiring in the bark. I had to look close to find the wire. Any concerns about squirrel eating through the wire and did you do anything to isolate the wire to deal with lightning related issues?

schunter1969

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both of my neighbors and myself do a pretty good job at keeping the squirrel population to a minimum but there is always the risk. I was more concerned with aesthetics than squirrel protection, which is why I didn't run a conduit up the tree. If they eat it up I will deal with it then.

I have not considered the tree getting hit with lightning... the switch description on their website states that it has lightning protection. The front of the switch has a screw and a ground connection underneath it. Is this for grounding the switch to my houses ground for lightning protection?

dfhawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd personally paint the mount, and bottom/top plastic covers on camera - obviously there are reasons not to...also likely better to extended visor and I could be seeing things but is the protective lens clear sticker still on the camera?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Both of my neighbors and myself do a pretty good job at keeping the squirrel population to a minimum but there is always the risk. I was more concerned with aesthetics than squirrel protection, which is why I didn't run a conduit up the tree. If they eat it up I will deal with it then.

I have not considered the tree getting hit with lightning... the switch description on their website states that it has lightning protection. The front of the switch has a screw and a ground connection underneath it. Is this for grounding the switch to my houses ground for lightning protection?
I think if you get a direct lightning strike then you'll have more problems than just the cam system. I was thinking more about nearby ground strikes and voltages induced on metal objects like wiring due to the large electro-magnetic field from the strike.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
There are various products for Cat6 lightning isolation. I don't have a product in mind but you can Google it. Probably you'd use that product as the line comes into the house. I think there are products that also provide protection when you are using the Cat6 for POE.