House explodes

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's kosher to post a link to a FB post or not, but here goes:

This is not my video. But someone got some security camera footage of this house exploding earlier today not too far from my place. I'm not sure what sort of camera system the poster used.

I live a little over a mile from where this took place, and it shook my house. All of the neighbors around here came out to see what was going on. Supposedly, it damaged houses and cars for several blocks around the site of the blast. I'm guessing it was a gas explosion, but one amusing report said the Air Force cordoned off the area and removed a large object and took it away in some black trucks. ;)

Police: Multiple homes damaged from house explosion (PHOTOS) - Casper, WY Oil City News

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's quite a pressure wave coming from that explosion.

Even the small sign sort of thingy - left from the driveway - dangling around after the bang.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes. That is much closer than when I heard a house explode a mile away earlier this year. I'm glad nobody was hurt.

Even a mile away, that makes quite the bang.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah. We're about 1.15 miles away, and it made our house creak, like a small earthquake or a sonic boom. It got all of the neighbors out of their houses here.

Several houses right next to the one that exploded have fairly bad structural damage, and there was at least one water main break from it.,

When I was a kid, there were a few incidents of houses exploding that I remember vividly.

In one, a lady was blown out of the house, and ended up in a nearby tree, still on her mattress! She was OK! My wife remembers that one, too, and she heard it from her place when she was a kid, long before we met. I just read or heard about it. I was asleep when it happened.

Another one I remember hearing and then seeing from my back yard. A neat house that we all knew well is up on the side of a nearby mountain. In fact, the sharp switchback corner in the road up the mountain where that house is, is named for the original owner of that house. It's a solid poured concrete structure, and very distinctive.

That one is probably seven miles from where I was at the time. Back then, sonic booms were common. It was before supersonic flights over populated areas were banned.

Anyhow, we were out in our back yard, which has a view of the mountain. We heard what we at first thought was another sonic boom, but then saw some dust and smoke up on the mountain. It turned out that the guy was "looking for a gas leak" using a lit match... and he found it! It blew him out through a window. I don't remember if he was hurt or killed. But the body of the house was undamaged, being such a strong structure. It's still there and occupied to this day. It's kind of like a "pill box" or gun emplacement, or modern castle looking thing. A neat house!