How anyone can get your WiFi password

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is only one way to get someones WPA passcode and that is to phish it or crack it, it not as easy as the OP makes out and normally requires some form of social engineering. upto date anditvirus / mailware / firewall enabled & complex passcodes will make life dificult for the attacker, using a vpn on any network you dont own is hightly recommended.

there is no magic heres my wifi key, only the hash is passed and both devices need to now the key, you would probbly have just as much success using a WPS attack.......
I am sorry but you are entirely mis-informed, all your devices will happily give me your WPA2 password in a readable form if I pretend to be a known wireless network.
@MartyO, it can be broken into to.. I can show up at your house today and demonstrate this attack (if you pay me enough of course)

I have laptop right here thats ready to do this attack.. I do penetration testing and demonstrate this attack vector to clients all the time.. All I need to do is get close enough to the target to detect the wireless network and its game over.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I am sorry but you are entirely mis-informed, all your devices will happily give me your WPA2 password in a readable form if I pretend to be a known wireless network.
@MartyO, it can be broken into to.. I can show up at your house today and demonstrate this attack (if you pay me enough of course)

I have laptop right here thats ready to do this attack.. I do penetration testing and demonstrate this attack vector to clients all the time.. All I need to do is get close enough to the target to detect the wireless network and its game over.
Thanks for the post, after reading it I googled "Can WPA2 be hacked" and found a lot of links. Below is one that you probably understand very well
https://www.latesthackingnews.com/cracking-wpawpa2-psk-encryption/

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think not..... maybe you should backup what you say, wpa2 uses a 4way handshake they pass the hash not the password, yes you can capture this but you still have to crack it :) normally using a dictonary or a brutforce attack.

i happy for you to prove me wrong :)

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I think nayr mentioned wpa2 enterprise as a wireless solution, but he pointed out the cameras don't have enterprise security.Oh well I like all the input cause I'm learning

SoulkeepHL

n3wb
Reaction score
Sigh. nayr must have read a general article about this recently ("That did not include all the details") even that it's been known about for over 10 years now.

nayr, most likely just found out about it now. Yet even CNN ran stories about this over 10 years ago ("See the 'External Links' section at the link below"):

It's blatantly obvious, that nayr does not fully comprehend this subject matter. If he did, he would know better and have known better than to make the egregious false and misleading statement like he has here. Especially, for someone who ("claims") to be an network engineer ("In their signature here"):

Well. At least he has his clients fooled ;-)

Note: For the moment, at least.

Even MartyO proves nayr wrong in their last post here. With a more recent article, about this over 10 year old known issue:

Even the link above, provided by MartyO, by itself. Clearly shows that "None of your devices will happily give your WPA passwords in readable form" yet nayr wishes to do his fear mongering about a subject he clearly does not understand ("Proven by his own words here") and which is now over 10 years old.

nayr, not once here has suggested, made or showed anyone here. How to better protect their wireless network in ("any") way as of yet in this forum thread without throwing money and equipment at this over 10 year issue, and this forum thread, is already 3 pages long.

Yet, nayr has taken the time to write statements here like:

"its far too complicated for most all of you to deploy"

"I can show up at your house today and demonstrate this attack (if you pay me enough of course)".

Go figure!

IMHO. A more positive approach may have been to inform others about "Best Practices" to better help protect ones wireless network from an abuse known about, for over 10 years now. From the get-go.

But to get more attention and at face value make it look like this was "New News". nayr instead, tried to spook everyone with a title of "How anyone can get your WiFi password" while adding fuel to the fire by making the false statement, as seen as above. With a signature in his post ("Saying") "Network Engineer" mind you!

Some "Best Practices" to help better protect yourself from this over 10 year old issue. Without the need to throw money and equipment at this issue, have been already stated here:

I would add to the above. That while MAC addresses can be spoofed. It sure can't hurt to add MAC address filtering to your Router/AP for wireless access. It's one more level of protection and has more positive benefits than negative ones for wireless access in general.

Don
YES!

I registered just so I could post that the title should really be:

How anyone can get your WiFi password HASH

Unless your WPA password is password, or 12345678, bruteforce cracking a long password is very much a non-trivial task.