How are you getting to BI remotely?

xm4rcell0x

n3wb
Reaction score
I have both VPN and HAproxy with pfSense.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
any chance i could have a look at your tasker job. I tried it but couldn't get it working right so might be something i'm doing wrong.
Sorry, I didn't notice this request until just now.....

The task itself is pretty simple. When the task is started, it checks to see what wifi I am connected inside an IF statement. If I am NOT connected to the home wifi, then it auto connects to the VPN service. You use the Tasker "Send Intent" command found under "System" for this and I used this walk-though (OpenVPN 3.0.X - Connect and Disconnect with Tasker) for the exact settings inside of this "Send Intent" command. Then I wait 4 seconds before ending the IF statement. Then I start the BlueIris app. So my task looks like this:
1. Net Test - type Wifi SSID, store result in %WifiSSD
2. IF %WifiSSD neq MyHomeSSID
----- 3. Send Intent (to connect VPN)
----- 4. Wait 4 seconds
5. End IF
6. Launch App - Blue Iris

This way, the task always starts BI, but will first autostart the VPN connection if I am not connected to the home wifi. The 4 second delay is to get the connection to finish before BI app opens and tries to login - you can tweak this time if needed. I have a shortcut that starts this task on my phone's "desktop" which is what I normally use to access BI. I also use the icon for the BI app as the image for this shortcut, so it seems like you are simply opening the BI app, but in reality it is a shortcut to this tasker task.

I also have a "disconnect VPN" task set up that fires anytime I exit BI. It also checks to see if I am NOT connected to the home wifi and if not, then I close the VPN connection using the same walk-through directions. If I am connected to home wifi, it doesn't do anything. I think I set it up this way because if you try to disconnect from the VPN when you aren't actually connected it must throw an error, but honestly I don't remember. This works even when simply changing over to another app (ie I don't have to "close" or "exit" the BI app). My close task looks like this:
1. Net Test - type Wifi SSID, store result in %WifiSSD
2. IF %WifiSSD neq MyHomeSSID
----- 3. Send Intent (to close VPN)
4. End If

The "exit" task can be slightly annoying if I am trying to troubleshoot something away from home and therefore I'm opening and closing the BI app fairly often. This doesn't happen very often and I usually just live with it having to reconnect to the VPN when restarting the app, but I can always disable the exit task if it is extra annoying that day. However under normal use you won't even notice it and I find it really nice not to have to manually turn off the VPN when I'm done using BI.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I can always post screen shots if that would help, but really the details found in that walk-through are probably what you are missing, and the walk-through goes into a lot more details than my screenshot would.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I previously used a VPN but as others have commented, my Android phone kept disconnecting. It was also a bit of a pain to set up. I'm currently using ZeroTier. It's easy to set up and I can manage connections between specific devices whether or not they are on my home network.
a word of note in regards to VPN disconnecting after so 30sec-2min on Androids. My Google Fi Pixel 3 Android did the same thing. There is a bug in the hardware that they could never fix in relationship to this. My Pixel 4 does not have this issue. This was connecting to my UDM Radius VPN server. I am unsure as to what hardware was responsible (or if it was hardware at all).

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
a word of note in regards to VPN disconnecting after so 30sec-2min on Androids. My Google Fi Pixel 3 Android did the same thing. There is a bug in the hardware that they could never fix in relationship to this. My Pixel 4 does not have this issue. This was connecting to my UDM Radius VPN server. I am unsure as to what hardware was responsible (or if it was hardware at all).
Interesting. I'm using a Pixel 3a XL and don't have any disconnection issues. I guess they figured it out between the 3 and the 3a series phones.

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm using a Pixel 3a XL and don't have any disconnection issues. I guess they figured it out between the 3 and the 3a series phones.
word of note. I was using Google Fi for my smartphone cell service. Just wanted to try out a different carrier than AT&T/Verizon/Sprint. It wasn't too shabby actually. I think they used T-mobile network towers (not sure). In the last week, have bit the bullet and swapped to Spectrum Charter for the $20 service plan. I am no power user so will try this new service out.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know the OP said other than VPN, but why not use vpn? I use OpenVPN - it's just a touch to establish a connection and start the BI app. Not sure what the inconvenience is.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Chrome Remote Desktop is free and works great if you're needing to get to the BI control machine itself.