How can I add more notification sounds?

smcmurrey

n3wb
Reaction score
At one time there was a wooden door knocking sound that I had setup on the push notification alert sound to my iPhone. I cannot find it in the list of wav files so I tried adding knocking wav files to the Blue Iris 4\sounds folder but they do not show up as selections in the app. So I replaced the supplied Quiet Knock.wav with the sound file I wanted and it plays on the computer but the iPhone plays a generic file. So it seems the sound files must be built into the iPhone app or is there a way to download my sound to the iOS app?

Thanks,
Stan.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At one time there was a wooden door knocking sound that I had setup on the push notification alert sound to my iPhone. I cannot find it in the list of wav files so I tried adding knocking wav files to the Blue Iris 4\sounds folder but they do not show up as selections in the app. So I replaced the supplied Quiet Knock.wav with the sound file I wanted and it plays on the computer but the iPhone plays a generic file. So it seems the sound files must be built into the iPhone app or is there a way to download my sound to the iOS app?

Thanks,
Stan.
Welcome to the forum...I dont have an IOS device but quiet knock is available in the camera alerts setting and it functions properly on the device...hopefully someone with ios can chime in...I believe the sound is stored on the phone not transmitted each time..

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Thanks,
Stan.
Stan, have you figured out how to get new/customs sounds added to the BI program? Like you, I've added a couple custom wav files to the sounds directory on the computer, but the console still only shows the stock sounds in the drop-down menu for push notifications. Kind of a bummer. I'd really like more distinct sounds for various notifications... something like "You have mail" when the mailbox is opened, or "Gate has been opened" when my gate is opened. The various cute sound effects neat sounding, but indistinguishable unless you've memorized them like a ornithologist memorizes bird calls.

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The sounds are embedded in the app. So the only way to have new push notification sounds is for the app developer to put them in the app. Hence adding new sounds to the blue iris sounds folder will only make them available to the blue iris on the PC, not the mobile apps.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I can confirm Avi's post. Ken said that for the notification sound file to be available on the phone/app it must be on both the server and the phone. The only way to get it on either is if Ken adds it. While you can add them to the directory, the server won't acknowledge that it's there unless there is a matching copy on the application - which he says he has to do. So, for now, we have to live with the built in sounds.

Pirateghost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Stan, have you figured out how to get new/customs sounds added to the BI program? Like you, I've added a couple custom wav files to the sounds directory on the computer, but the console still only shows the stock sounds in the drop-down menu for push notifications. Kind of a bummer. I'd really like more distinct sounds for various notifications... something like "You have mail" when the mailbox is opened, or "Gate has been opened" when my gate is opened. The various cute sound effects neat sounding, but indistinguishable unless you've memorized them like a ornithologist memorizes bird calls.
Ditto on really wanting to be able to do this. I would like spoken alerts for my cameras such as I have named them; parking lot, driveway, etc. There must be some way to make this happen. Thanks. (I have a droid phone so I use an app to create custom sounds. I used to use one for my blue iris app but all it would say was "camera". I stopped using it because I didn't want people thinking I was snapping pictures when it was really a BI alert.)

wewoapsiak

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what type of phone you have and how bad you want custom sounds. On android, the sounds are stored in the /res/raw directory of the apk. Using a program like audacity you can create a .wav file you like and name it the same name as one of the .wav files in the raw directory, that way you can still select that name in the windows program. To replace the files you'll either have to decompile / swap files / recompile the app on on your computer, then reinstall it on your phone, or if you're rooted you can use an apk editor on your phone to swap out the sound files. It is a pain in the rear so make sure you like the sounds bits, and if the app is updated you'll have to do it again.

Pirateghost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds like too much work for me. Maybe I could bribe the developer to create some generic sounds to incorporate into BI such as, driveway, firepit, parking lot, front door, back door, etc. etc. Wouldn't need to many, I mean how many cameras can you have? I figure maybe 20 or so generic spoken alert sounds would be great.

Manyakus

n3wb
Reaction score
Did someone figured out how to add custom notification sound that are not in the BI drop down list?