How can I find out my "External IP address" to access my DVR from somewhere else?

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The technician set up my TVI system with a DVR that had an internal and external IP address. When I'm on premises I can access the system with the internal IP address. Initially, I had no problem accessing the system remotely with the external IP address but this seems to have changed. I can no longer use the external IP address to access the system. It worked for a few days and now no longer gives me access. The browser simply says "unable to connect". When I try it on IVMS it says "Connecting to the device Error code IVSM-200 (302) camera is disabled or not connected". When I go to Device Management and "remote configuration" it says Security Login failed. When I go to the Server tab and hover over the "net status" of my IP address it says "connecting to device failed, the device is offline or network is timed out". I have also re-inputted my correct login credentials but no joy so far. Any help appreciated.

shaoalan79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should consider setting up a DDNS for your machine. Just go 'configuration' - 'network' - 'DDNS', create a name for your machine, click 'apply', then you are set. In IVMS4500, put the setup mode into 'HIDDNS', no matter what is your external IP, the service will always bring you back home.

Covack

n3wb
Reaction score
Do You know if You have a static Ip or not
also, just to be sure Your Ip hasn't changed, go to google
search for whats my ip and see if the external Ip matches

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do You know if You have a static Ip or not
also, just to be sure Your Ip hasn't changed, go to google
search for whats my ip and see if the external Ip matches
Thank you Covack,
This worked nicely. I just realized that the ipaddress had changed. I input the new one and it worked. This means that my ip address is changing and is probably not "static". I will try to follow the advice from shaoalan and set it up as a HIDDNS. I wonder why the tech didn't set it up that way from the getgo?? Is there any downside to setting it up like that?

shaoalan79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Because he wanted to save time and go home quicker. :)

DDNS is a relatively permanent solution, check out a youtube tutorial, Hikvision's ddns is very easy to setup.