How can I find the IP/network of missing IP cam?

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please help. Suddenly an IP cam feed/IP has gone missing from my network/NVR. (It was setup/working with SmartPSS and web browser for years.)
  1. What are the factory-default network-domains of IP cams, besides 192.168.x.x? (One cam I have, was factory set to 168 or something. But I forgot which cam, and which #.)
  2. What is a tool to IP search for missing IP cams (only), or other networks besides 192?
  3. Im not sure if it has a reset dongle near the power connector (I cant get to the location atm). But how can I reset the cam if I cant find the IP and login?
I tried Advanced IP scanner and ODM (on 192). But need to know networks besides 192 to search.

• Im on a 192 network, but dont see any other IP cam logins (besides the ones still working). And there are 40 other devices, which is why I prefer a tool that looks for cams only, and not phones or servers.
  • The cam in question might be malfunctioning or hacked - as the reason I can no longer find the usual IP.
  • But I manually disconnected/reconnected the Ethernet cord, and the cam powered back up (heard sound), and it did its spin up routine. Also restarted router, no fix.
  • And at night, I can see that the IR lights are still turning on. So it is powered and working. But it's on an unknown IP now.

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Usually in a case like that I would log into the switch and look at what IP was assigned to the port that camera was plugged into. Then I would manually change my IP so I could login to the camera via my browser and add it back to the network again.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please help. Suddenly an IP cam feed/IP has gone missing from my network/NVR. (It was setup/working with SmartPSS and web browser for years.)
  1. What are the factory-default network-domains of IP cams, besides 192.168.x.x? (One cam I have, was factory set to 168 or something. But I forgot which cam, and which #.)
  2. What is a tool to IP search for missing IP cams (only), or other networks besides 192?
  3. Im not sure if it has a reset dongle near the power connector (I cant get to the location atm). But how can I reset the cam if I cant find the IP and login?
I tried Advanced IP scanner and ODM (on 192). But need to know networks besides 192 to search.

• Im on a 192 network, but dont see any other IP cam logins (besides the ones still working). And there are 40 other devices, which is why I prefer a tool that looks for cams only, and not phones or servers.
  • The cam in question might be malfunctioning or hacked - as the reason I can no longer find the usual IP.
  • But I manually disconnected/reconnected the Ethernet cord, and the cam powered back up (heard sound), and it did its spin up routine. Also restarted router, no fix.
  • And at night, I can see that the IR lights are still turning on. So it is powered and working. But it's on an unknown IP now.
Often I have an small poe switch to help trouble shoot in these situations.

connect lost camera to extra poe switch
connect laptop / pc for trouble shooting which has network scanning tools
set laptop / pc to 192.x.x.x and scan the entire range for IPs on the network ( remember you are isolated and only the PC and camera are connected to the switch so you should only see the camera )
set laptop / pc to 10.x.x.x. and scan again ..

typically now I would know what the IP of the camera would be as often either 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x are the most popular for this

once you figure this out, DOCUMENT it.

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Usually in a case like that I would log into the switch and look at what IP was assigned
Often I have an small poe switch to help trouble shoot in these situations.
Thank you. So I do have 2 switches (primary and old one I need to find).
1. For the primary, how do I find it's IP? (I forgot and other people have devices on this home network, so I cant ask them, and thus it's hard to single out which devices are mine while I look at Advanced IP scanner results.)
It's a "Cloud Managed Gigabit Ethernet Switch;" and I looked at the listing (where I bought it), says I might need an app to connect (and it's been a while since I installed, so I dont know where the box is).
2. For the old switch, it may be easier to connect; but I'll need to find it.

typically now I would know what the IP of the camera would be as often either 10.x.x.x or
Thank you, that helped reminded me. I searched 10.x on Google, and found more default ranges:
"all private IP addresses start with either 10, 192.168, or 172.16."
set laptop / pc to 192.x.x.x
Do you mean set PC to a specific 192.168.1.100? Then use [Advanced IP scanner] to scan "192.168.1.1-254" ?
once you figure this out, DOCUMENT it.
Yes, ty for the PSA reminder :). (I had it documented and had pics of the original IP label before install; but I recently changed phones and PCs. Thus Im in a transition stage of not having all my data gathered in one place :(.)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make and model of the "missing" camera?
Does the camera have reset button that you know of?
Is the NVR a POE NVR or is the "missing" camera powered by a POE switch, POE injector or plug-in 12VDC power supply?

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make and model of the "missing camera"?
Does the camera have reset button that you know of?
Is the NVR a POE NVR or is the "missing" camera powered by a POE switch, POE injector or plug-in 12VDC power supply?
1. Can I DM you the info?
2. I don't recall (im thinking this one no), (and I cant get to a ladder atm, but can eventually).
3. It is powered by a POE switch. First I disconnected the cable at the POE port, no fix. Then (days ago) with a ladder, I disconnected the cable at the camera, reconnected, it powered on, spun up, IR lights still go on at night.
Edit clarification: the NVR does not have Ethernet ports for Cams, only Network. So I connect all IP cams through a POE switch. Cam is connected to Switch > switch connected to Network that XVR is on.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. So I do have 2 switches (primary and old one I need to find).
1. For the primary, how do I find it's IP? (I forgot and other people have devices on this home network, so I cant ask them, and thus it's hard to single out which devices are mine while I look at Advanced IP scanner results.)
It's a "Cloud Managed Gigabit Ethernet Switch;" and I looked at the listing (where I bought it), says I might need an app to connect (and it's been a while since I installed, so I dont know where the box is).
2. For the old switch, it may be easier to connect; but I'll need to find it.

Thank you, that helped reminded me. I searched 10.x on Google, and found more default ranges:

Do you mean set PC to a specific 192.168.1.100? Then use [Advanced IP scanner] to scan "192.168.1.1-254" ?

Yes, ty for the PSA reminder :). (I had it documented and had pics of the original IP label before install; but I recently changed phones and PCs. Thus Im in a transition stage of not having all my data gathered in one place :(.)
Quick reply now to help get you moving ..

192.168.x.x .. make pc a 192.168.1.253 or some ip you expect the camera not to be using .. scan the 192
168.x.x network ..

Then try the 10.x.x.x .. pc you can make 10.252.10.252 .. very high likelihood none other device would use that .. scan then the entire 10.x.x.x network

And if not results can try 172.x.x.x network .. tho the 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x are mostly the most popular to use

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the confirm.
So I need to find my old Switch > connect it to cam's Ethernet cord (end B) > then also connect PC to switch (sealed network = only cam and PC should be on it) > then do the scans.

I'll report back when I can do that. Thanks for the support guys.

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why not say here what the make and model of the camera is?:idk:
As stated by @alastairstevenson in another thread, that info is not sensitive.
It's not related to [any of you guys], but I might have a hostile relative on my network who might be at this forum (and messing with my cameras). Thus I dont want to give out identifiable info (that only they would know if they see it posted).
So if you give me permission to DM the model, I will. (But I dont know the model of the missing cam, as now the "device type" is blank, in the Channel listing.) Ty

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's not related to [any of you guys], but I might have a hostile relative on my network who might be at this forum (and messing with my cameras). Thus I dont want to give out identifiable info (that only they would know if they see it posted).
So if you give me permission to DM the model, I will. (But I dont know the model of the missing cam, as now the "device type" is blank, in the Channel listing.) Ty
I'd say your bigger issue is insuring that you do NOT have ".... a hostile relative on my your network."
And I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but that would be my first priority if that is, in fact, a good possibility.

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Agreed lol :( That's why Im trying to find out what happened, and asking how to close off access (to ODM), then see if I need to question someone.
Or the missing camera is malfunctioning (it was messing up months ago, then fixed after a restart). But I cant confirm the issue yet, that's why Im seeking help here.

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This type of situation is why I always like managed switches so you can control access on any port and you get all the info of devices connected to it as well (cameras, rogue relatives, etc). You should start keeping notes of how to manage your devices (IPs, usernames, passwords, etc). It’s a bit more work up front but it makes it so much easier if you ever need to add or make changes to anything.

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Agreed. Thanks for the info. I started with a normal switch (found out it was not managed). So I bought an upgraded switch (to prevent the issue you speak off), but was not able to set it up 100%, had to move around. Thus my lack of memory now. (And my notes of the serials, etc, are on another PC.)

But if anyone can, please direct me to a guide on managed switches or best practices for IP cams, or for sealing off specific connections from accessing the cams.
[That part I dont understand: how to let the NVR, my PC, and phone connect to the cam data feed, but also have a password way to access when Im mobile (and no longer on the network but wont know the MAC of the guest PC that I use for emergency access, or if my home PC fails).] Ty.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would first suspect it tech related failures .. then Trojan / Virus / bot attacks .. after that bad inside actors.

This is what I typically expect.

Also why I like to very much isolate my security cameras from the rest of the network.

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agreed. Thanks for the info. I started with a normal switch (found out it was not managed). So I bought an upgraded switch (to prevent the issue you speak off), but was not able to set it up 100%, had to move around. Thus my lack of memory now. (And my notes of the serials, etc, are on another PC.)

But if anyone can, please direct me to a guide on managed switches or best practices for IP cams, or for sealing off specific connections from accessing the cams.
[That part I dont understand: how to let the NVR, my PC, and phone connect to the cam data feed, but also have a password way to access when Im mobile (and no longer on the network but wont know the MAC of the guest PC that I use for emergency access, or if my home PC fails).] Ty.
If you’re using either Blue Iris (dual NIC) or an NVR then ideally you use those machines to isolate your cameras from the rest of your network. You can also use VLANs but I don’t suggest it unless you’re quite tech savvy. For ease of use I typically set up the main network (which has internet access) as 192.168.x.x (since most home network equipment usually prefers this right out of the box) and I make the camera network use 10.10.x.x which makes it easy to remember. If you use VOIP, then I usually make that 172.16.x.x to keep that separate too. Then you can either plug the cameras right into the NVR or use managed switches if running direct lines isn’t practical. I use at least one managed switch on the main network (which has access the internet) this creates one central area to be able to control all the devices connecting to the network or the internet (this is where you could shut down a rogue family member if needed). Then in front of that you would usually have a router or firewall device which is where you can gate the traffic going into and out of your network. Usually people would set up a VPN on this device to allow you to access your NVR or Blue Iris machine from your phone or any other outside device you want to use to get access. Again there’s a million different ways to set this up so what I’m suggesting is just how I like to do it but it does provide a very simple and easy to manage system. Key is to be organized up front and it makes it so much easier when dealing with issues in the future.

Last edited:

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update: How can I connect to the camera's settings when going to the IP (in Firefox browser, https and port 80) does not connect? (My browser auto changes http to https. I tried Chrome with http, but it doesnt connect to cam either.)
  1. I connected lost cam's Ethernet cord to a different switch (get power) > "POE link" port > blinks green. (The Switch has 5 POE links (first 2 are high powered, last 3 are low powered or turn off power if detect PC) + 2 Uplink ports.
  2. Connected Laptop to this switch on another port. (Do I connect PC to Uplink or one of the low POE link ports, for PC to cam communication? I tried both, both failed at step 3.)
  3. Found IP: I typed the [192.x.x....] IP in my Firefox browser (which I used to use to connect to it). But the browser says cant connect.
  4. So what is wrong? How can I connect to the cam settings?

1. How I found IP: Advanced IP scanner could not find the cam IP. (It did find the "Cisco-Linksys" (is this the switch?), but I cant connect to that IP in the browser, or no login possible on this non managed switch?)
    1. But "SADPTool" found "HK-IPCAM" on IP 192.x.x....; port "8000" ; http port 80.
    2. And ODM found the cam on the same IP, "IPD-E2...." But the next panel says an error msg: "There was no endpoint listening at http://192.xxxxx:9000/ that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action."
      1. So "SADPTool" says the [maintenance port?] is 8000, but ODM says the port is 9000. (And when I set it up/last month it worked, I set that port to 9000.)
      2. But in "SADPTool" I cant edit the port. (I entered the last password and tried default pass, changed port, msg says an ok/confirmation. But when I refresh the search, the port is still listed as 8000.)
    3. Now I tried a search tool from the cam seller. I see the IP, cam name. And http port = 80; rtsp port = 554; "Video port" = 90. What is Video port, the ONVIF port? (that should be 9000 or 8000?)

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update2: [Edit I DID NOT] confirmed that the Ethernet cord is working. But I still cannot IP connect to the [missing cam with the IP/port above].

• How I confirmed that the CORD is working: I dced the Switch-end of the cord (on switch 1), which was originally connected to the [missing cam].
  • I plugged that end into a different IP cam (that was previously setup on my NVR and worked).
  • The different cam got power, got blinking green light, I can see the IP in ODM, and I can connect to its IP in my Brave browser >

• But if I connect this cord to [missing cam] and then connect the end to switch 1 (full NVR network) or switch 2 (just the cam and PC) - then I cant connect to its IP.
  • I also googled "incorrect address or SOAP action," found some posts at this site. Some said restart ODM. I did. But on switch 2 (just cam & PC), I still get the SOAP error.
Edit 3: I did NOT confirm the cord works. Edit in progress.

Last edited:

aforum

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ty for the reply. I know. Just faster to type xxxxxx.
Update 3: FOUND and IP connected to [missing cam]. Cam feed works. It was the wire/line or port (on original Switch 1) that is malfunctioning!
  • [Missing cam] and another IP cam were connected to switch 1, by first using a CAT6 splitter.
    • So a splitter gets attached to the long main line (which now carries 2 vid feeds).
    • Split-end #1 has 2 plugs that go into ports 1 and 2 of Switch 1 (inside the house near NVR).
    • Then at the end of LONG main line (outside house), another splitter attaches (Split-end #2) > so now I have 2 paths > each connect to a different cam.
    • The path to [missing cam] was defective, or the port is defective.
    • I found out by switching the ports of [missing cam] and other IP cam - at switch #1 (original).
    • [Missing cam] was quickly found by ODM >new IP > connected to that IP in the browser > missing cam still works.
  • So BRB, will test outside lines. But anyone know how to test for a bad POE port on switch #1 (if that is the issue?) Ty.