How do I access my cameras while travelling?

jamesbond

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening,

I have setup a camera system at my house using a desktop computer, Blue Iris, the router from my internet service provider (ISP) and a router.

I will be travelling soon and want to be able to access my cameras or Blue Iris from outside, I may be in another city in the U.S or outside the U.S.

I think one of the routers (not the ISP router) is a Netgear Nighthawk X4S and I believe it has a VPN function (although I don't know how to set it up yet but I can check the router manual).

Is the best - safest and not too complex to access - way to access it via the router VPN function or some other safer option?

I welcome your input please.

Cheers,

James

jamesbond

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening,

I think (fingers crossed) I have made progress on the VPN access, I am going to try it further.

I read about NetTime time sync tool, and want to use it as a server on my desktop which is dedicated to the computers.

I have found some instructions on how to set it up, e.g. open UDP port 123, but am still not 100$ sure on how to configure NetTime.

Does anyone know of a more detailed tutorial they can point me to, or is there someone on here I can bounce some questions off?

Thank you
James