How do I connect speaker and mic to IP cam?

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to set up a few PoE IP Cams in a pedestrian way around a building with 2-way audio. the Cams with the built-in speakers are not loud enough, so I need to attach external speakers to it. Can someone show me how this is done and what kind of speaker/mic should I buy to attach to it? do I need to add an amplifier for this? Is the PoE power from the IP cam itself enough to give power to the speaker? (it doesn't have to be very loud, but loud enough that people in a pedestrian way in a street can hear it)

for example, I tried the audio output of Hikvision DS-2DE3A400BW-DE, but it wasn't loud enough, I need something at least twice louder. it would be great if there was a PoE cam with a louder speaker and built-in 2-way audio so I didn't have to install an external speaker.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Best bet is to use the audio out on the nvr and connect into a amp. The speakers built into most cameras a horrible its basically the same speaker that is used in a cell phone. you can get a small amp from amazon and a bullhorn style speaker and that should be enough to get someones attention.

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
Isn't the audio out on NVR for playing the sound on the NVR itself? I never learned what are those audio connections on the back of NVR. What I am trying to do is to attach a speaker to the camera that I will mount outside the building.

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way, I am looking to speak from the speaker from anywhere on the internet using the mobile or PC app, not the NVR itself.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
By the way, I am looking to speak from the speaker from anywhere on the internet using the mobile or PC app, not the NVR itself.
If you use the RCA output on the nvr and connect into a powered speaker or amp you will be able to talk through the app on your phone and hear it through the speaker.

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
If you use the RCA output on the nvr and connect into a powered speaker or amp you will be able to talk through the app on your phone and hear it through the speaker.
I am trying to understand this. My NVR is located in my network closet (inside the building) how is that going to make me able to talk through the camera that is outside of the building? I need to talk to the people outside of the building, people who are close to the camera, for example, someone at the gate.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
with this set up you will not be using the speaker built into the camera. you will use a external speaker. install a amp in the network closet and connect to nvr, run 18/2 speaker wire from closet to the area where you want the speaker.you will still be able to use the mic built into the camera to hear someone. but the speaker we are talking about will allow them to hear you much better. you can use pretty much any type of weatherproof speaker for this application.
if you find a powered speaker keep in mind you will need a power source close by . and also use shielded cable for audio signal. rj6 or 59 would be perfect

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
So each Camera channel should have an audio out in the back of NVR, I saw some of them have it, then I should connect the corresponding audio out the channel and run it to the same location as the camera?
And the audio out in the back of NVR is not powerful enough, so I will need an amp?
Did I get it right?

I have a total of 5 cameras that will need audio out (speakers)
Can you suggest an amp that works in this situation?

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
oh and by the way

If my PoE cameras have audio out, can I directly connect an Speaker with built-in amp to each camera and only run power to the speaker instead?

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So each Camera channel should have an audio out in the back of NVR, I saw some of them have it, then I should connect the corresponding audio out the channel and run it to the same location as the camera?
And the audio out in the back of NVR is not powerful enough, so I will need an amp?
Did I get it right?

I have a total of 5 cameras that will need audio out (speakers)
Can you suggest an amp that works in this situation?
some nvr's do have outputs for individual channels, however most only have 1 output. which will be a common output.
The output on the nvr is a line level out. yes, you will need a amp to power a speaker
a amp like this would work for you.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
some nvr's do have outputs for individual channels, however most only have 1 output. which will be a common output.
The output on the nvr is a line level out. yes, you will need a amp to power a speaker
a amp like this would work for you.
Thanks!

For NVRs with only one output, it won't be possible to selectively only speak out of a specific camera then, so if I connect 5 Cams to the same audio out, I understand if I talk, the audio will come out of all of them. right?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you wont hear the audio out of the camera you will hear it out of the speaker you install.

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I meant the speakers, but if DVR has only 1 audio channel it goes to all speakers at the same time (if I connect the same output to all speakers)

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
The speaker would likely need to be amplified, operate on 12VDC, be waterproof, have a mounting bracket and NOT be one of the myriad of Bluetooth speakers available. IMO, this one seems to meet those specs ==>> EXTERNAL WATERPROOF SPEAKER WITH 15 WATT AMPLIFIER

View attachment 121972
I am not an expert in audio equipment, can someone tell me what kind of amp do I need to buy for this? is it the wattage I need to consider when choosing or there are other things? I don't understand those terms like impedance etc..!

can you show me a product that will work with this? btw I would need an amp that can support 4 or 5 of these.

isaac7

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there anyway I can get a PoE cam with audio out that will provide enough power to connect a 10-15 watt speaker, so I don't have to run power separately for the speaker or put an amp in the middle?

Also I am thinking if I have to put an amp between the cam and speaker, I might find some basic / small amp and mount it somewhere close to the speaker and only run power to the speaker, because obviously, I can't put the amp in the network closet, and give the speaker cable a round trip to go there and come back! unless I find a speaker with built in amp.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not an expert in audio equipment, can someone tell me what kind of amp do I need to buy for this? is it the wattage I need to consider when choosing or there are other things? I don't understand those terms like impedance etc..!

can you show me a product that will work with this? btw I would need an amp that can support 4 or 5 of these.
The one I linked has a small built-in amplifier, so you don't need to buy an amp; you connect 12VDC and the cam's audio output to it.