How do the pro's do it? Cables from NVR...

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

Ok, so I'm wanting tips from the pros.

If I have a 4 camera system, if I could have an NVR anywhere in a house, power in the loft if needed. Hoq would you professionals install to keep the wires secure from being cut?

Armoured trunking or conduit? Looks pretty commercial though, especially if on a house?

Put NVR in loft? So no main camera cables running up the wall all bunched together? If so how to operate the NVR via mouse? wireless mouse would not work I guess?

Use a switch in the loft? But this would still leave a single cable that would need protection I guess?

What is the best method? Trunking inside a freshly plastered house/office can look rubbish???

I'm not sure what the best/quickest/cost effective

Hope u can help. Cheers

Reaction score
What are you trying to prevent? If you record to your NVR and another destination over networking cables run out of sight in the wall (to wherever), you have two copies. Just wondering why even worry about it if it isn't a prison/jail situation.

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score
So I was installing a 4 camera system for my mate at his farm. Walls are solid brick and block inside and out.

It does not record to 2 places just the NVR.... maybe this is a mistake?

My friend was really concerned the cables could just be cut. (Which I understand his concern).

Setup -

Nvr in office/barn, 4 cables ran out the back wall, run up the wall behind the guttering, then ran off to the various cameras.

I used armoured trunking but on a residential house I think this would look really unsightly. I was wanting to know what you guys do? More to the point, if the customer is saying, well cant the thief just cut the cables.

(I guess a switch in the loft would mean the cameras would still get power if the NVR cable on the first floor was cut, the SD cards would still record as a 2nd back up, as they would still have power?)

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe camera height and placement is most important. Cams no higher than 8ft is the rule. To get a good facial ID is the objective?

Last edited:

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe camera height is most important. Cams no higher than 8ft is the rule. To get a good facial ID is the objective?
For the farms they are really just wanting to see vehicles and lorries going into the yard and people wondering about. Need to cover a larger area so something has to give I guess.

I'm just interested in how you guys run the cables to the cameras from the first floor to 3m high or higher inside? Outside, if so do you use trunking? Or not? Etc any tips are welcome

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on the barn. I have done a few dairy barns where all wires ran inside the attic and dropped out through the exterior soffit or gable end of barn. Pictures would help.

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score
Would any of you run all 4 camera cables out of the NVR and up the outside wall without armoured trunking on a residential house?

If they are close enough to cut it you have hopefully caught them on camera ‍♂

?? what do you guys do for residential?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
If you run cables inside, make them neat and out of reach. Here is a example of a small barn with no attic access, except camera is inside.
89E88D79-FDBB-42F9-9003-70DA5338CC54.jpeg

Minime46

n3wb
Reaction score