How do you all watch Dahua cams on your tv's

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@TechBill Sounds promising, but maybe a bit expensive for my purpose.
@danbutter I've tried one or two plugins like that, my experience is not great. The loading of the stream was way too slow. I can't remember if i tried this one though, maybe i'll give it a go. Tinycam as well as Ip Cam Viewer only do something like 5 fps on my cheap chinese android box..

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you guys use any other devices other than a TV as a dedicated monitor? I tried using a tablet with gDMSS but it was a power and memory hog that would crash the tablet after a while. I'm looking for a solution to fit on a kitchen counter with no ethernet port, maybe at best a powerline adapter. Does anybody use an all-in-one computer?

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you guys use any other devices other than a TV as a dedicated monitor? I tried using a tablet with gDMSS but it was a power and memory hog that would crash the tablet after a while. I'm looking for a solution to fit on a kitchen counter with no ethernet port, maybe at best a powerline adapter. Does anybody use an all-in-one computer?
Maybe you could use something like a VTH1550CHM? Not sure if there are models with wifi.. And if you can watch multple camera's at once..

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great information here - looking into this for smasung and visio smart TVs

Want it as simple as possible. Like a pre-configured shortcut.

Will be back after I research.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
What I did was get a small form factor computer and installed it next to the television. I installed iVMS-4200 on it and was able to use my LAN to get access to my NVRs. The video of the small form factor computer goes out the HDMI port to the HDMI port on the television. In my case I used input #4. For the ethernet connection I was able to use the house wiring using the Netgear Powerline 2000. Works great and I also have internet access.

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No. tinyCam PRO works only with Android TV devices. Samsung does not have any Android TVs.
I can confirm that - I searched the apps on my samsung and did not find tinycam. Also, when I put in my IP address in the TV browser, I was able to loginto the NVR, but could not see the video streams. It did not tell me, but I am probably missing the plugin that is required in some browsers.

So, I did not notice a response to if the tinycam is available on appleTV?

In order to get the video on a TV - it looks like a "SmartTV" makes no difference. Just need an external device to send the signal to one of the TV inputs.

The choice is which device/method to choose.

1 - HDMI cable from NVR direct to the TV. This could be with the NVR local to the TV, or with a long HDMI cable. If ethernet is available at the TV, could move the NVR there and install PEO switch in original location of NVR. I think this has the potential for the easiest "plug and play" from the aspect of tv/nvr operation. Just switch inputs, maybe a wireless mouse too.
2 - PC on a stick. Wouldn't require much more than to install blue moon browser, or SmartPSS. Still just a switch of the input on the TV, but getting the PC to the NVR screens is a little cumbersome, I think. Unless the startup sequence can be automated, but I have not had success with that yet.
3 - Android TV device like the ShieldTV or FireStick then install the TinyCam or other app. This seems like it would be a little simpler than the Widows PC route. I think a little cheaper also. Maybe the gDMSS app as I am already familiar with that.
4 - AppleTV - not sure about that one. Can the gDMSS app be put on it like on an iPad?
5 - gDMSS app on mobile device and mirror the screen to the TV. Fine if you can dedicate a device to the task.
6 - Roku - Is this possible? which version roku?

If there is room for the NVR near the TV, option 1 may be the cheapest option(have to buy the POE switch). But not by much. And it is only suitable for one TV. If there are multiple TV's to view on, might as well configure an android solution and duplicate it?

So, option 3 might be the best if starting from scratch. Or option 4 if already using appleTV?

Can the tinycam app be configured to auto start all the way to viewing the cameras? What is the least expensive android device that could be used with it?

Thanks

Last edited:

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried that with 2 android boxes from aliexpress, install gdmss on it and plug it into one of the inputs on my AVreceiver.

I have a zwave doorbell, so when im watching Kodi and my doorbell would ring, my yamaha av receiver would change input for 10 seconds.

In my expierence the gdmss app (also tried tinycam and ipcam viewer) would lose connection after a couple of days.

So i dropped that idea and bought the cheapest dahua nvr (4108) from andy. The fan makes a little bit of noise, but its inside a cabinet so im not bothered with it. The 4108 never lost connection and just works..

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my expierence the gdmss app (also tried tinycam and ipcam viewer) would lose connection after a couple of days.

So i dropped that idea and bought the cheapest dahua nvr (4108) from andy. The fan makes a little bit of noise, but its inside a cabinet so im not bothered with it. The 4108 never lost connection and just works..
So, you didn't already have an NVR?

I already have all the cameras connected to an NVR. Just want to monitor them remotely.

This is the way I am leaning..
Cool. I've upgraded to a few MXQ Pro 4K Android boxes. I don't even use Tiny Cam Pro anymore. I just downloaded the Dahua DMSS app and use that.

SD
Wonder how it has been going for him, now a few months have passed.

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Repoting back...

I purchased the HK1 with 7.1.2.

Connected via ethernet. Installed gDMSS, but could not get it working. It seems like gDMSS needs wifi.

I tried to get wifi connected, but could not. It did not even see my 5g network. Entered password for the slower network, but never found an "ok" for it to try.

So, back to wired connection and install tinycam. Scanned my network and found my nvr. It seems to have found my two cameras, but just shows them both as model DH-SD59225U-HNI. With the ip of my NVR

After a little trouble, i am using RTSP over TCP. And hardware, not softwate for the H264/H265.

Trouble with username/password too. Did not keep working.

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure what happened with the login problem. Was fine, then nit, then fine again. I just waited.

Well, looks like both cameras in tinycam are the same cam in my system. Both have the ip of my NVR, not the cameras themselves

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Found it!

In manage camera, advanced settings, other... changed channel number to the correct one(both defaulted to 1)

Now, just need to learn more about the HK1

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If remember correctly, you can press cancel on the wifi ''error" and it still works

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, no reports of something like the tinycam on apple TV?

Is gDMSS on it?
Not sure, you're probably better off just switching inputs on the tv to a fire tv stick running tiny cam.

Because this way you can quickly switch to viewing the cams without disrupting what you're watching.

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was hoping to hear rrom someone with 1st hand experience.

The android i have is ok for me, but i have an uncle with a nvr who has the apple tv already.

On the other hand, I do like being able to leave one device on the cams and quickly switch to it.

LeeJSA

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm planning on running a Mirabox HDMI over IP setup when my NVR eventually lands from China!. Simplest and easiest method I've researched into doing and it means that all I or my partner need to do is just change the source on the TVs to an HDMI port and everything will be visible. I'll have 1 sender off the back of the NVR and 2 receivers so that I can see the CCTV on both our bedroom and living room TVs.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good morning guys, so I understood: AndroidTV is a type of smart tv and ot just amy TV.
Makes sense tinycampro run on it.

Btw I am also a customer and I really like the app.