How do you handle notifications?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been mulling over the whole dynamic of how I handle alerts, notifications, when motion detection/IVS is on and off. How does everyone else handle this? Currently I run blue iris with 3 profiles, home/armed home/armed, home does no motion detection or alerting, armed home only does it for outside cams, armed does it for everything. I want to be able to know when some is in a spot that a cam sees when I am not home and all but I don't want to do motion detection on indoor cams and have all kinds of snapshots, clips, whatever. I'm curious to hear how everyone else handles this stuff to see if I can come up with a way that works better for me. My other thing is i've been kinda wanting more and more to just use the IVS stuff inside the dahua cams because it seems to work really well but then of course BI won't know about those triggers. I'm putting on board memory into all of the cams so having BI spam me with a bunch of emails that have snapshots attached isn't as important I don't think, it's also pretty annoying. Anyways, how does everyone else run their stuff? Should I just abandon BI and get an NVR? I don't really do anything crazy with BI right now except record 24/7 and some motion detection which works okay. Anything else crazy I'm doing with my home automation.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You could try BI's geofence feature to only alert you to motion indoors when you're not at home. Snapshots sent to email is a handy off-site record of folks who come and go. If a thief smashes/steals your BI computer or NVR, you'll still have pics of them offsite. I get emailed pics from big motion events at my doors and up close in my driveways plus BI gives me a special chirp whenever someone come to the door. That's great for when I can't hear a knock or the bell. Gives me a bit of email cleanup duty when I'm doing chores and coming and going through multiple doors and the garage though. Great for packages and knowing who comes and goes. I've got a cousin who's staying in a spare room and even though she's as trustworthy as anything I still like to know who comes and goes in the house. If you still want offsite pics but no annoying email alerts, send them to a secondary Gmail account that doesn't ding on your phone but is still available to be checked if needed.

Reaction score
I cloned my front door camera in BI and configured the motion settings to only trigger on large objects. 9 times out of 10 it'll only trigger when someone is at the front door. The rest is up to the alarm system.