How do you like my wasp nest security camera?

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Three or so years ago I made my very first yellow jacket wasp nest security camera. I was inspired to think outside the box after watching video footage of thieves with hoodies and sunglasses, circumventing a security camera system. My thinking was they would be more comfortable not using or even removing any concealing clothing once inside a building...

Also, they would be less likely to cover the cameras with bags...especially if they could not recognize a camera!

Anyway, my purpose in posting is to better/improve upon my invention...

My first wasp nest security camera was made with a cheap Logitech USB camera. It is still working fine to this day.

I simply collect a bunch of wasp nests by first spraying them and killing them, then selecting the best nest size for our need, then cutting the camera hole, then spraying with lacquer, then mounting the camera and the wasps! It has been working well for a little over 3 years now.

Now I would like to make some wasp nest security cameras using small HD IP cameras.

Can anyone give me some good advice on what camera might work well in this scenario? I was even considering and have played around with the ultra small cameras/computer systems called Raspberry Pi.

Finally, has anyone any ideas to better this invention?

Thanks,

Soar

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This seems familiar. Did you post about it before? My first thought for a small cheap cam to try is Wyze Cam. I think it is wifi only and you need to flash different firmware on it to get RTSP support. There's also an older compact/cheap cam called TOP-201 which you could look up.

I hate wasps. They're always building nests under my eaves or in my hot tub shed (and those are just the ones I can find and get to).

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This seems familiar. Did you post about it before? My first thought for a small cheap cam to try is Wyze Cam. I think it is wifi only and you need to flash different firmware on it to get RTSP support. There's also an older compact/cheap cam called TOP-201 which you could look up.

I hate wasps. They're always building nests under my eaves or in my hot tub shed (and those are just the ones I can find and get to).
BP, I fully understand hating wasps...two years ago I was plowing one of our fields at night and hit a subterranean yellow jacket wasp nest that was something like 4x8 ft in width and length...needless to say, I was stung over 25 times from the neck up.

BP, I posted the wasp camera instructional on that website that closed down...by the way, what ever did happen to that other website?

Last edited:

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been playing around with this little guy...

BUT, I would like to try something that would work on BI 4.

Raspberry Pi Camera.JPG

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ regarding the TOP-201. I have one in a bird house. Available with and without IR, has RTSP, is Blue iris compatible. Sold here and elsewhere.

Great idea, BTW!
Hey Tony, are you using this to watch the inside of the birdhouse, you using it as hidden?
Ever ran across a small cam like this that has both IR and Sound?
My wife want's one of these for her Blue Bird nesting box.
Even with gutting one of the Dahuas and using for such duties, still makes it quit big to shove into a BB box.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Three or so years ago I made my very first yellow jacket wasp nest security camera. I was inspired to think outside the box after watching video footage of thieves with hoodies and sunglasses, circumventing a security camera system. My thinking was they would be more comfortable not using or even removing any concealing clothing once inside a building...

Also, they would be less likely to cover the cameras with bags...especially if they could not recognize a camera!

Anyway, my purpose in posting is to better/improve upon my invention...

My first wasp nest security camera was made with a cheap Logitech USB camera. It is still working fine to this day.

I simply collect a bunch of wasp nests by first spraying them and killing them, then selecting the best nest size for our need, then cutting the camera hole, then spraying with lacquer, then mounting the camera and the wasps! It has been working well for a little over 3 years now.

Now I would like to make some wasp nest security cameras using small HD IP cameras.

Can anyone give me some good advice on what camera might work well in this scenario? I was even considering and have played around with the ultra small cameras/computer systems called Raspberry Pi.

Finally, has anyone any ideas to better this invention?

Thanks,

Soar

View attachment 43417 View attachment 43418 View attachment 43419 View attachment 43420
Better copyright that shit

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Tony, are you using this to watch the inside of the birdhouse, you using it as hidden?
Ever ran across a small cam like this that has both IR and Sound?
My wife want's one of these for her Blue Bird nesting box.
Even with gutting one of the Dahuas and using for such duties, still makes it quit big to shove into a BB box.
Yes, it's in a bluebird house. I bought one with no IR but am using separate IR emitter and a "Y" cable to send the 12VDC to the cam and the emitter.
The assembly is down right now due to storm damage but hope to get back up soon. I'll send some pix, in and out, when it's done.
The BB house is mounted on a 6 ft. studded fence T-post, using a mount made just for mounting BB houses on said pole.

EDIT: cam measures 40x40x20mm

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BP, I fully understand hating wasps...two years ago I was plowing one of our fields at night and hit a subterranean yellow jacket wasp nest that was something like 4x8 ft in width and length...needless to say, I was stung over 25 times from the neck up.
Yikes! Yellowjackets are nasty little MFers and the thought of finding one of their nests scares me much more than the paper wasp nests I find all the time.

BP, I posted the wasp camera instructional on that website that closed down...by the way, what ever did happen to that other website?
I thought it might have been there on cam-it :) If I recall the owner decided he didn't want to run it anymore since his only moderator had quit a while ago and ipcamtalk had drawn away most of the users.

soarwitheagles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yikes! Yellowjackets are nasty little MFers and the thought of finding one of their nests scares me much more than the paper wasp nests I find all the time.

I thought it might have been there on cam-it :) If I recall the owner decided he didn't want to run it anymore since his only moderator had quit a while ago and ipcamtalk had drawn away most of the users.
Yeah, cam-it was it, just forgot their name.

The greatest challenge with the subterranean yellow jack wasps is they only have very small entrances, so they are often super difficult to see or find. After getting stung over 25 times in under two minutes I could have gone to a Halloween party as a pumpkin and I would not even of had to wear a mask!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mowing grass one day, after passing over an area with the mower, I notice the ground moving. I look closer and it's the friggin yellow jackets, they chase me all the way around to the back of the house stinging me through my shirt on my back. I think it was like 18 times or so.
We now each spring we put out a trap for the queen, no more yellow jackets in the yard.