How do you mark your cable runs?

wetland

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys and gals; how do you mark your cable runs?

I have always marked my runs with a permanent fine tip marker (sharpie), and have noticed that over time some of the markings tend to fade / bleed away to a point where they have become illegible.

[FONT=&amp]Looking for the cheapest and easiest solution as possible, so how do you mark yours?

[/FONT]

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Different colour pvc electrical tape works well after the event

Different colour RJ boots or sleeving over the cable at time of installation.

Or for cables that are awaiting for other trades to finish before termination, then leave a bit of extra cable and then use side cutters to cut different numbers of V notches.

However the ultimate has to be the self adhesive tape that has numbers

Attachments

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Brady Label Maker - expensive and refills are expensive but it's the one thing that always gets the job done.

wetland

n3wb
Reaction score
Different colour pvc electrical tape works well after the event

Different colour RJ boots or sleeving over the cable at time of installation.

Or for cables that are awaiting for other trades to finish before termination, then leave a bit of extra cable and then use side cutters to cut different numbers of V notches.

However the ultimate has to be the self adhesive tape that has numbers
I was thinking of the sleeving idea using shrink wrap cut into 1/4" rings that way you could use different combinations / colors would be cheep and permanent.

The notching idea is one to add to my book.

Thanks for the ideas

Brady Label Maker - expensive and refills are expensive but it's the one thing that always gets the job done.
Yes I had thought about the label maker not quite ready to spend the money.

Thanks.

wetland

n3wb
Reaction score
Found these >> Heat Shrinkable Marker Assortment colored and Numbers #0-#9

1/4" tubing should work for cat5E and cat6.

Also what would your thoughts experiences be with using clear heatshrink tubing over permanent marker? Do you think it would still fade over time?

Attachments

Daffy

n3wb
Reaction score
When doing the pulls I simply use the wire inside. Four pairs of wire inside and since I do telco work for a living "Blue/Orange?Green/Brown = 1/2/3/4, using the whites with them you get 5/6/7/8. More pulls than that.. grap a piece of cardboard and poke some holes and number them and poke the wire through the cardboard.

Completing the job and dressing the wire work up nothing beats a labelmaker.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1 to the Brady Labeller. I have the Dymo Rhino Pro 5000 which is the equivalent of the Bradys and is able to print on to special heatshrink that you're able to slip over the sheath.

I've also used numbers and letters on a plastic ring that you've able to slide over cables to make up words or numbers.

wetland

n3wb
Reaction score
When doing the pulls I simply use the wire inside. Four pairs of wire inside and since I do telco work for a living "Blue/Orange?Green/Brown = 1/2/3/4, using the whites with them you get 5/6/7/8. More pulls than that.. grap a piece of cardboard and poke some holes and number them and poke the wire through the cardboard.

Completing the job and dressing the wire work up nothing beats a labelmaker.
Not quite sure I understand so your leaving the blue wire and cutting the others off on the end you are pulling too, and marking that box of wire where you are pulling from #1 / orange wire box #2 / etc.

Nahhhh :D... lol
I do think this might work if you think about it you are sealing / encapsulating the marker from the elements. I guess there is one way to find out I will try this as a test.

Thanks for sharing.

wetland

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 to the Brady Labeller. I have the Dymo Rhino Pro 5000 which is the equivalent of the Bradys and is able to print on to special heatshrink that you're able to slip over the sheath.

I've also used numbers and letters on a plastic ring that you've able to slide over cables to make up words or numbers.
Another good suggestion with the rings, I have seen those during my searching. I can see the labeller is the most logical choice if I had the money right now I cant afford one. Guess I'll have to save up for one eventually.

Thanks

Daffy

n3wb
Reaction score
Not quite sure I understand so your leaving the blue wire and cutting the others off on the end you are pulling too, and marking that box of wire where you are pulling from #1 / orange wire box #2 / etc.

I do think this might work if you think about it you are sealing / encapsulating the marker from the elements. I guess there is one way to find out I will try this as a test.

Thanks for sharing.
I do all my wire pulling at once, usually with multiple boxes of wire of the same makeup and color, I use the color code on the wire to designate what went where at the central location. As I splice everything up then it gets labeled.

I've used colored tape, magic marker, dinks on the wire, number of knots, and a few others.

You don't have to cut anything but the jacket off and wrap whatever wire back around the jacket for marking it after the pull and logging it on a paper for future reference when terminations are being made.

wetland

n3wb
Reaction score
I do all my wire pulling at once, usually with multiple boxes of wire of the same makeup and color, I use the color code on the wire to designate what went where at the central location. As I splice everything up then it gets labeled.

I've used colored tape, magic marker, dinks on the wire, number of knots, and a few others.

You don't have to cut anything but the jacket off and wrap whatever wire back around the jacket for marking it after the pull and logging it on a paper for future reference when terminations are being made.
Thanks for the explanation Daffy; I actually used the wire wrap method this weekend with a three box pull.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I'm there we normally use a Rhino labeler with the nylon labels and it works very well. I use that to label every power cord, switch, power supply, router ports, uplink cables, you name it it gets labeled. That stuff gets labeled that way for every install so guys in the field can just look for the label and go even if they are not tech guys I can walk them through stuff over the phone. Every single thing is labeled regarding the system, UPS, auto powerstone, switch, lan cables, modem, all get labeled.

For the actual camera runs usually the installers phase the cable with phasing tape. We have a map of the runs, then a color goes to each specific run and when we run out on bigger installs then we will double up colors or combine them in unique ways. So red goes to the camera on the south corner, the one with two red bands goes to the north corner, the one with one red and one white goes here... You get the idea. Then the map is marked so we know which run used what colors and we keep it scanned into our network for future reference, and at times we'll make a nice copy of the map and laminate it and leave it at the property for future reference by guys working on the cables especially with larger 20+ camera installs, or we can note it on paper there that stays with the DVR.