How do you not see the approaching train?

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This, unfortunately happens way too often. Just last week, the town I live in had "an incident" where a young woman (I heard a 17 year old driver) picking up her siblings from a nearby school got stuck on the rails. Several critical injuries and one 12 year old boy killed. These tracks are known far and wide as heavily used rails by both freight and passenger trains heading into the Oakland Bay area. We also hear about the occasional person that gets hit by a train. How in the hell do you not see, hear, and even feel a million tons of train coming at you with horns blazing? It doesn't take much to know that if you pick a fight with it, you lose, so that leaves only stupid.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder why the barriers go back and fourth like they do? Surely that is why people are still trying to cross, if they just went down they’d realise this soon enough and then start to adhere to the barrier rules?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
That was a surprise to me as I kept waiting for the train to show up and smack someone.
Yeah, it did seem like the crossing arms and signal were "crying wolf" for a long long time. But you'd think folks would look for the train itself, and that might give you a clue.